Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lodge Blacklock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lodge Blacklock?

I am in the market for a 12 inch cast iron pan. We have fallen in love with Lodge stuff and I see that the Blacklock pan is lighter than the typical cast iron. That would be a major win for my wife, but it is $80. Do y’all think that is worth it?
    Triple Seasoned. Lightweight Design. Shop Blacklock Cast Iron Skillets at Lodge Cast Iron, offering heirloom-quality cast iron cookware.

If weight is a key consideration why not a Lodge carbon steel? They can be had for $50.

Comment

If weight is an issue, then this is Lodge, under 6# and it's cast iron. If sourced through Amazon and it's not what you want, return.

Comment

I ordered a blacklock griddle from Lodge when they had a sale. It’s a nice griddle but it has developed a crack. It’s not affected the performance of it thus far. The blacklock series is cast as thin as possible for weight savings and they are not as durable in my opinion. I am not abusive with my pans and it hasn’t passed the test of time. I know you are not looking at a griddle, just my 2 cents here. 🔥🔥🐿️

Comment

• MsTwiggy
          MsTwiggy commented
          Editing a comment
          RichieB a carbon steel pan is on my list. 🔥🔥🐿️

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Lodge will replace that for free. You should contact them.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Lodge will make it right.

I’ve owned a Lodge 12” carbon steel for about 4 years and it is one of my favorite pans. I can cook 3 meals a day on that thing, I do recommend the silicone handle sleeve. Just fyi when you decide to pull the trigger. 😉

Comment

IMO if you’re going to splurge on a pan CI would be the way to go because it will last forever and ever unless you really abuse it, although carbon steel makes a strong case too. My daily driver is some Uber cheap CI that my wife bought me before she was my wife and I have that thing so perfectly seasoned I can’t justify getting rid of it, but I do dream of adding to the collection.
          I’ve heard of this Blacklock line and thought this might be worth buying because my wife doesn’t like the weight either, but with what MsTwiggy said it would make sense that the most obvious way to make it lighter is to remove material which certainly would affect longevity, esp if you’re looking to use it over ripping coals. Less material doesn't necessarily justify the price hike though.
          Well after all that I don’t think I’ve added any tangible advice to this conversation so I guess just buy it and let us know how it goes 👍🏻
          Last edited by Andrrr; February 8, 2024, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Field if weight is an issue. Smithey if it isn't. Move on if money is an issue.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Your last sentance...if more people would heed this.

Much has been written about cast iron vs. carbon steel. My two cents: I have had cast iron for many years, and, in last few years, I bought some carbon steel. Now if find myself reaching for the carbon steel more often than not. Good searing, good heat distribution and easier to handle than cast iron. Although, I do like to bake in the cast iron.

Comment

Thank you everyone. After talking to my wife, she said that she would prefer a heavier pan instead of paying too much. Now to decide if I buy online and get it shipped or do Facebook marketplace and save a few dollars.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                58limited used to be you could score some nice CI at antique stores, thrift shops and such. These days all I can find is cheap unmarked crap in the thrift stores, or they are overly proud of their CI. I still hope for a cheap vintage USA made CI piece, and keep looking through it every time...

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Or garage sales

• Oak Smoke
                Oak Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                What do you want? I’ve found so many nice skillets over the last few years at antique malls and estate sales that I don’t’ have room to store more if I found them. The wife and I love going “junkin” as we call it, but I need to sell some of mine off to make room for more. What I have are all cleaned and very well seasoned. Or look on eBay there’s a ton of cast iron there. Now that the sellers live or die buy their seller ratings they are much more honest and point out flaws.

My favorite skillet is my Lodge 12" CI - picked up at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in their store side 20-30 years ago on a whim. Was just used as my "steak" pan for many years until I started branching out with it.

If you have Prime, this bundle is only $29 and includes a red slip on handle cover:

Amazon.com: Lodge Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder, 12-inch: Home & Kitchen

I see these in lots of local stores, but usually for $39 these days.

The nice thing with the Lodge 12" is we have a glass lid from some other pot or skillet we no longer have that is a perfect fit when I want to keep spatters down or keep things warm.

I also see that this is $24 and change at Lodge's online store today, but not sure about shipping...
              Last edited by jfmorris; February 9, 2024, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• bmillin
                bmillin commented
                Editing a comment
                This is a great choice. FYI if you buy through Amazon, the warranty has to go through them. If you buy direct Lodge service is your friend. Odds are it will never come up, but I have had it happen once.

I have the lodge 12", but the one with the two small handles on the sides. I got it solely for pizza, but I find myself using it for many other things. I don't find it overly heavy, but it is quite hefty which really only is an annoyance when I am trying to clean it.

Having the two small handles on the sides allows me to use it in my smokers -- especially my PBC -- easier than one with the traditional pan-style handle.

Comment

The Blacklock series are great pans. That is Lodges attempt at lighter cast iron like they used to make back int he day. It is great stuff. These pans offer great value, in my opinion.

I like to buy USA cast iron and Lodge fits the bill. They make great stuff.

If you are looking for 12" Stargazer and Field Skillet are a great choice. Field will be lighter. Stargazer has a wonderful handle that really helps you manage the weight of the pan. If it were up to me, every cast iron pan would have a handle like the Stargazer. (Both of these are American made!) Both are smooth bottom pans and they work great.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	SKT-120-S_Bottom_Scaled_840x840_2684b8b7-515b-4fe4-8eb5-a0cbf3ab6d5f.png.webp Views:	0 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	1550628

LMK if you have more questions on pans or manufactures. Let us know what you pick up for you lovely bride!

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Stargazer, from right here in NEPA! I have the 10 and the 12, and both get used a lot. And it’s not just the handle; the lip is rolled so pouring from it is a snap.

• J-Melt
                  J-Melt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Them things are expensive! I will definitely be going there Lodge direction for now, but maybe one day I could get one of those.

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bought them when I was still working; in fact, I got the 12" right before retiring because I knew I wouldn't get it afterward!

I own quite a few old CI pans but never put much thought into them. But, question for the CI guys, doesn't the added weight add some benefit/functionality to the pan in terms of heat retention and/or even distribution?

Comment

• Oak Smoke
                  Oak Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It does give you more mass to retain heat. I’m not sure if it makes heat distribution any better. My two favorite skillets are both fairly heavy Wagner #12’s. I’ve put together a set of the old lighter Wagners with the heat ring from #3 up to #12. Those older ones are just different. They are light, smooth, and take seasoning so well. Supposedly the iron is the old virgin iron from the mines in Erie, Pa and Sidney Ohio. The newer skillets are made from mostly reclaimed iron.

• bmillin
                  bmillin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  From my experience, more weight helps with heat retention but CI in general is not good for heat distribution. Try putting some water in a pan then bring it to a boil - I'll bet you can see bubbles following the pattern of the burner. I have a 15" which is useless on an indoor range as you get a hotspot and a cold outer ring, but it sure works great on the old wood stove.

I am set to pick up a brand new Lodge 12 inch from someone on the north side tomorrow afternoon for $20 via Facebook marketplace. I save a few dollars and don’t get forced to buy something else to get free shipping!

Comment

Got it! Here it is side by side with the 10 inch I got off Facebook marketplace and rehabbed a few weeks ago.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here