Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smooth or rough cast iron? No difference, IMO.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smooth or rough cast iron? No difference, IMO.

I have some cast iron. Not as much as some of us, but enough of it. And, I use it frequently. For smooth, I have two Stargazer skillets and a Griswold Dutch oven; for rough, I have two Lodge Dutch ovens, a Lodge skillet, and a Iwachu Japanese omelet pan. I also have an Amazon Basics large enameled cast iron Dutch oven.

Although I have my favorites among these, those preferences aren’t related to non-stick properties, because, in my experience, they are ALL non-stick to the same degree.

An exception, maybe, and the slickest, by far, is the Iwachu Japanese omelet pan. I think I would actually have to work to get food to stick to this thing. It came pre-seasoned, and I seasoned it again before use. Oil pools up in it. I’ve had it three weeks, and it is the best omelet pan I have ever had. It’s like it’s been Scotch Guarded, everything beads up.

Although I prefer the Stargazers over the Lodge, I really think that’s because I spent the money on them. In actual use, there’s no difference. If you’re thinking of getting expensive cast iron, do it because you like the way it looks, because the performance is exactly the same. Same thing with the Dutch ovens. My Griswold is HUGE, 13qts, so I only use it on the occasion that I’m cooking for a crowd; but the 5qt Lodge does exactly what you expect it to. It is really no less nonstick than the enameled Dutch oven, actually; you can burn stuff to the bottom of anything if you’re not careful, after all.

That’s the scoop. You can buy cheap, rough, modern cast iron, and it works the way it’s supposed to, because the magic is in the iron and the seasoning, not in the surface. In fact, you could buy it used at a garage sale and probably save even more.
    Last edited by Mosca; January 29, 2023, 03:31 PM.

Thanks! This is something I have always wondered especially with the price difference for high-end cast iron. I do want to find some of those garage sale or thrift store finds some of y’all find though.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      You can find some wonderful CI at those place. Some of the old Wagners and Griswolds are as smooth and beautiful as the modern high end stuff. The bonus is you’ll have a ball doing it.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      You’ll find the good stuff less so at thrift stores; they know what they have. At garage sales, sometimes people don’t know what it is, and sometimes just want to get rid of stuff.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Older black iron is typically lighter too.

Spot on, season it right and it’s non stick.

Comment

I have to disagree based on my experience. My 2 modern lodge skillets (used one just now to make tacos) while properly seasoned and well is not as nonstick as any of my Wagner or BSRs. Maybe its just mine.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Not to differ with you but, most of the time, when food is sticking to cast iron, it is a case of too much heat or not enough oil. Usually, too much heat.

I think some of the higher priced CI is lighter than Lodge. I bought a couple of Butter Pat pans. They are very nice but do not justify the inflated price. I would recommend Field over BP all day every day. These pans are designed like the old Griswold.

I think for the the rough pans cooking bacon or searing steaks there is no difference. Cooking eggs I think a slight edge goes to smoother CI pans. IMHE.

I treat my Lodge pans like work trucks. Heavy duty and can take abuse. They are my outside pans. They cook just fine.

I do like my enameled CI Dutch Ovens better than regular CI.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I love my enameled Dutch oven! But it is big, 7qt. I’m not going to buy a smaller enameled one, the regular 5qt works fine.

I have to say, now I am wondering about the difference between cheap and expensive knives but that is probably another thread.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper I know there is a difference but I couldn’t tell you how it would work in practice like Mosca just did for CI.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I know a butcher who doesn’t even own his knives; he uses a knife rental service. And many professional chefs use cheap (sharp) knives. My opinion is that 99% of use can do perfectly fine with the Victorinox etc.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        There’s really good inexpensive knives and really bad expensive knives. FInding good knives, I think, is harder than finding good CI

Well well well. I have to mostly agree, though I have never had any that claimed to be special and expensive. I had some cabella's and it was a very good value, at least as nice as Lodge and a bit cheaper.

Back in the early 80's I had a set that was sold under the brand name of a Pharmacy chain. It was adequate, but I am pretty sure it was lighter than most. I can't remember how it happened, but eventually the handle broke away from the pan.

My ex got rid of most of the cast iron because she did most of the cooking at that time and the weight caused her wrists to hurt. Recently I decided the 9" (?) frying pan was not big enough for my regular use so I thought I would get a big 12" frying pan.

I happened to see one at Big Lots (I don't recall the brand) and it was heavy and looked nice. Made in China. But I noticed it was rough inside, rather than milled smooth like every other cast iron pan I have owned. So I held off buying it. The next time I was there I figured that the roughness might actually be an asset in terms of allowing the film of oil/grease not to get pushed aside by the food. So I bought it. I have had it for almost a year and I like it. I do think the roughness is an asset. And I do like it. My mind though "is it possible the Chinese invented an improvement to a quintessential American product? But based on the post I guess it was someone else that did it first.

Buying used is definitely a good approach. Check the weight and tap the bottom just to make sure it isn't really thin like my Grey Drug pan. If it has tons of residue you will get a better deal. You can use oven cleaner and a wire brush. Or just throw it in the fireplace like my father would do when buying something like that - just burn off the gunk! Then re-season, of course.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the expensive stuff is definitely lighter, for sure.

I shouldn't have clicked on this thread because now I want a cast iron Japanese omelet pan.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Iwachu Iron Omelette Pan, Medium https://a.co/d/cvQAilF

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn you.

I was looking at Smithey’s CI skillets, perhaps similar to the Japanese Omelet pan, I’m not sure. But they were nice! Curved edges, slick and very nice looking.

I don’t have any high priced CI skillets. Lodge and two with Emeril’s name on it and the other a Pioneer Woman. The EMeril’s pan is horrible, I don’t like and I want to give it away….but, I won’t. The Pioneer Woman CI works great, but I also took a sander to it and made it very smooth. It cooks so much better than the Emeril’s pan so I may sand it once it warms up a tad.

but I would like to add a Smithey’s CI..even the skillet..to my collection and to accompany my Smithey Farmhouse CS.

And last - I’ve also wondered about this…high dollar vs not.

Comment

• J-Melt
        J-Melt commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm, we got an Emeril one as a wedding gift 10 years ago and I’ve liked if for the most part. Only recently had it been truly non stickish. Maybe it’s time to try a different brand or try to find one used.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        J-Melt - it was my very first CI skillet. Maybe I just didn’t get a good seasoning on it? I don’t know. I use it mainly for roasting brussels or potato’s in the oven, as I know it will do a good job for that. So I would think it’s decently season from that, but if the base isn’t…I guess not.

• J-Melt
        J-Melt commented
        Editing a comment
        Up until last week it was the only one I’ve ever had, so I really don’t have anything to compare it to. I’m going to start looking for an antique one to rehab and see what the difference is if I can find one at a good price.

My lodge skillet is probably 10-15 years old. It’s totally smooth, but that’s probably just from so much use. I prefer my Stargazer skillet but that’s probably because I bought it unseasoned, so the seasoning is all me.

Comment

I would agree that the newer, rougher pan finish like you find with Lodge is just fine once the seasoning builds up. I will add that my old Griswold or Wagner skillets with the smooth finish are lighter for a new Lodge of the same size, maybe due to some material having been machined away during the smoothing process or just a lighter casting to begin with.

I can't see spending a crazy amount of money on a new "Artisan" skillet.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll add that once you do spend that money, it will be the only CI skillet you will use. Not because it’s better (it isn’t), but because you dropped all that $$ on it!

To each their own. Some of the high end pans do offer some advantages. Finex, for instance, has a very thick and heavy bottom, which does help to retain heat. Not to mention the shape makes it very ideal for pour liquids and fats out of the pan. I also love the handle. Stargazer, as you know, offers a wonderfully long handle which is awesome when cooking on the grill or over a live fire. The smooth cooking surface also offers distinct advantages while cooking, especially for new users. While smooth pans are easier for beginners to use, given they use ample oil and not too much heat. However, they can be harder to season in the end. Pans like Lodge are rougher, which gives the lattice more to grab onto.

It does come down to modern design. Smaller manufactures have to charge more if they are made in the USA. There is no getting around that. Lodge can charge very little because they have been doing it for so long and have the ability to manufacture at scale. You trade off is rougher pans with fewer features. You certainly pay for the look and FEEL that you want. Lodge makes great cast iron and I own more of their stuff than I do any other. It is kinda like buying a car.....any car will get you from A to B. It is just a matter of how you wanna look, your driving experience and how much you are willing to pay for said experience.

BTW, I would love to see that 13 QT Griswold dutch oven!

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s under the counter, I’ll dig it out later. Maybe I’ll take a snapshot with a 6qt inside of it.

Spinaker ask and you shall receive! I got this 40 years ago, when it was just an old piece of cookware; I paid $20 for it at a second hand store, sometime between ‘82 and ‘85. They wanted $25, I offered $20, and took it home. Even then I was kinda pissed, $20 wasn’t cheap back then. No lid, I have a huge enameled steel stock pot lid that fits. Also a pizza pan fits. I’ve had a couple leads on a Griswold lid, but I’m not paying $100 for one. I’d sell this before I’d buy that.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1110002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	1536030 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1110003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.77 MB ID:	1536031

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent!!Thanks! You could easily fetch over $100 for that gem!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful

• bmillin
          bmillin commented
          Editing a comment
          WOW!

Nice pot. Hard to see where all the lids went, compared to the pots they are like hen's teeth.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess if someone wants one, there aren’t many out there? Idk. All my offers have been rejected. I haven’t used that in years, it’s just the two of us, that pot is the chili pot, and I never make that much chili at once any more.

Right now I have a couple Field skillets, a couple Smitheys, a Finex, and quite a few Lodge skillets. I have been using the Smithey 14" quite a bit lately and love it. It isn't seasoned as well as my Lodge skillets but the finish is so smooth there isn't a lot of sticking and it cleans up super easy.

My anecdotal evidence says the slightly rougher Lodge skillets take and hold seasoning better than the super smooth Field or Smithey skillets. I have run my Smithey through a handful of seasoning cycles and it is nowhere near as seasoned as my Lodge skillets after just a couple cycles.

As far as functionality they all perform quite similar. Some of them are heavier than others and have different heat retention properties, take different amounts of time to heat up, etc. but you can fry some bacon just the same in all of them, get a good sear on a steak on all of them, cook cornbread in all of them, and fry up some burgers in all of them. The differences are primarily aesthetics and ergonomics. How does the pan feel? How much does it weigh? Will this skillet look good in SUWYC photos? Those are the kinds of questions you need to ask when trying to justify a $200 price tag vs. $40.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here