Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griswald Cast Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Griswald Cast Iron

Someone local just posted a Griswald skillet for $500. I assumed that was a typo, but looked it up, HOLD CRAP. It’s just cast iron, what on earth makes it so expensive, even compared to Lodge?

I ain’t holding nobody’s crap.

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't expect you to hold someone else's. You are clearly full to the top with your own.
      Merry Christmas!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s it willxfmr ! You’re blocked too now! ….let’s see, I’ve now got 3 members who aren’t blocked, hmm, ain’t much to see here these days.
      Last edited by Panhead John; December 18, 2021, 11:16 PM.

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John
      I guess that makes me the winner winner, spatchcocked chicken dinner. Too bad you'll never know.

Collector's item I guess.
    Is a Griswold cast iron skillet worth anything?
    Later pieces of Griswold cast iron history feature a diamond shaped logo on the bottom. The word ERIE is still included inside the diamond. These skillets were produced from 1884 to 1909 at the Griswold Erie PA ironworks. They are less valuable than the earlier pieces, but still highly sought after.

Looked it up too.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I have several ERIE's, grudginly willin to accept $500.00 apiece, plus shippin.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      A man of reasoning you are Mr. Bones

I saw a lodge dutch oven listed recently as vintage - complete with a picture of the cardboard box it would come in if you ordered it today for $ 100 less. Craigslitst and Ebay have destroyed the chances of finding a nice piece cheap.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Deals are always out there, ya jus gotta ignore th bullhonkery, an buy when it's right.

I've snagged hunnerts of pieces of CI from both ePay, an Craigslist, in this fashion...

I don't know if it is worth $500, but Griswald's are great skillets, DO, etc. I have a 10" skillet from around 1920. It is noticeably lighter than any other 10" CI skillet I have and that includes my new Fields 10" skillet.

Comment

BTW, if'n yer gonna be googlin round, tryin to find one, you'll have better luck / more accurate search engine results if'n yall type "Griswold", vs "Griswald"

Comment

I have a 12” Erie & a 12” Griz. They are my go to fer largish batches of bacon & big cooks.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Bacon is said to make everything better, Cast Iron too.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          My two pieces are 75 to 85 yrs old. That might have something to do with the price of em.
          Last edited by FireMan; February 13, 2022, 05:39 AM. Reason: Dang spell check. They gotta stick their nose inn every once in awhile. Yrs not hrs.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan I am channeling my inner Panhead John

Your CI is only 74-85 HOURS old…. Are they even seasoned yet?

"what on earth makes it so expensive".............

As it is with most things in an economy.............how long is the line of potential, serious buyers (in other words waving real money not just opinion) who want whatever it is.

Comment

Yep... has to do with how hard it is to get for a collector... I once sold a Pez dispenser "Cow" on eBay for $625.

Maybe I should have held it a little longer... https://www.jjpezpal.com/AnimalsNF.html I wonder if that's the one I sold.

Here is another hard to get cast iron... https://www.ebay.com/itm/12464559169...4aAkwtEALw_wcB

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pez Cow.png Views:	0 Size:	202.1 KB ID:	1145059 Click image for larger version  Name:	Pez cow 1300.png Views:	0 Size:	259.9 KB ID:	1145060

Comment

I am lookin to sell a program with Jackie Robinson’s signature. Was once told a napkin would fetch 800 bucks.

Comment

Mouse milk is pretty scarce, whats it worth?

Comment

What? My griswold is 12” , 4” deep and comes with the lid. Best pan fried chicken CI ever.

note to self: raid the in-laws house again. My FIL seriously has a bin of cast iron in the side yard.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grab me some!

Nice to know... about identifying griswold
                Identify and date your Griswold cast iron. Guide uses logos and markings to determine age of your Griswold cast iron skillets.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here