Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast Iron seasoning question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron seasoning question.

My pan is looking great,

But i have a question. lets assume we season at 450, use it a lot, and seasoned good. Can it NOW withstand 500F

Yes. I mean, don't let it sit there empty for a long time at 500F, but if you want to roast something inside it in a 500F oven you should be fine.

Comment

Ramp it up there gentle-like, an, 500° ain't gonna be no problem

Do it too fast with OG CI? Warps/Cracks Beloved Vintage Skillet Best Case Scenario.

Do It Not, Please.

Comment

I sear at around 600° fairly often with mine.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup...600°-700~ish, bring it up Gentle.
          New/ thick like Lodge might weather it okay, but don't Please DON'T Do This this to Yer Gramma's skillet, an destroy it. That there'd be Fupped Duck.
          Hindsight is Always 20/20
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 25, 2021, 07:50 PM. Reason: +d

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones when doing black and bleu (my cook if choice for steak) it is always one of my new lodge skillets. My wagners, grizzys, and even BSRs (my work horses) are almost never what I reach for.

• wu7y
          wu7y commented
          Editing a comment
          "That there'd be Fupped Duck." Mr. Bones, you are truly a master of getting around censors while making yourself perfectly clear. Love it!!

I guess I look at cast iron a bit differently than many. Before I start with my usual diatribe(lol), just sear your steak or whatever, as the cast iron is resilient. Clean as you need, and stop fretting about your seasoning. I have used many cast iron implements on the job for the last 45 years, and we would season them every day. No exceptions. Grills, pans, etc, were always burned off, then just wiped with a bit of oil. Same goes with carbon steel pans and woks too. Worry about your seasoning only for a piece where you cook eggs, hash browns, etc. In other words, lower temp cooking.The best way I have found to keep cast iron less sticky, is to grind the surface smooth, and just use it. Woks too. If you have stuff stick, either soak it off, or burn it off, then wipe with a bit of oil.Serve the food, not the gear.

Comment

Yeah it will but it really is not necessary. Cast iron retains heat very well. Once it is heat soaked, it does not take much energy to keep it hot. You are fine searing at 450 F or even lower, provided you have allowed enough time for the pan to be evenly heated. Sure Cast iron can take direct high heat better than a steel pan, but it does not always have too. With steel you need to keep the heat coming, with cast iron, that is not the case. It takes more time to get it up to even temp, but once it is there, you do not need to blast it to achieve a good sear.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here