Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about cast iron skillets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about cast iron skillets.

I'm sorry for the noob question, but, when it comes to using cast iron in a smoker, does the cast iron absorb the smoke? I know that cast iron will absorb soaps, oils, things like that. But, will it absorb the smoke so the next time you use it, what ever you cook will taste like smoke? Should I have a skillet I use strictly for smoking and nothing else?

Not that I've ever noticed.

Comment

I have not noticed this either. You should be fine with no adverse effects.

Comment

Plus 3

Comment

Plus 4

Comment

Agree with everyone. Cook with it often and have never noticed this.

Comment

Nothing to worry about. However, after using mine on the grill, I make sure to clean the whole CI. It will get soot and stuff all over the bottom and sides.
              Last edited by Panhead John; September 1, 2021, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Same comment as my esteemed colleague, Sir Panhead. What you may get is the smoke adhering to the outside of the pan. It will be mostly soot-like so be sure to wash the entire outside before re-using it as well.

Comment

Good question but I've never noticed a smokey smell and often use cast iron in my kamado.

Comment

Cast Iron was originally used only in smokey fires, before they had any other source of fuel. You’ll be just fine.

Comment

What everyone else said. You may wipe off a little soot when washing, but it should be fine.

Comment

Cast iron is great in the smoker and wonderful on the grill. I’m not going use a Wagner or Griswold out there, but Lodge makes several cast iron pieces that work great on the grill and smoker. I’ve used my kamado to season cast iron.

Comment

If you're worried (and by the above comments, you shouldn't be) -- you can always go to your local Lodge Outlet or big box store to pick up a 2nd - or 3rd - cast iron pan that you'd use exclusively in the smoker.

Eventually, you'll find out that you've acquired a handy 2nd - or 3rd - cast iron pan for every day use.

Comment

• STEbbq
                            STEbbq commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I support MCIS.

• FireMan
                            FireMan commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Wise words Will, get more!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here