Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lodge Cast Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    replied
    I am setting up the electrolysis bath again tonight, I have a 12" pan that needs to be done. I am also gonna try to get my Cornbread pan done. I have been putting this one off for a while now. It is such a pain to get all the rust and seasoning off with all those wedges and vertical surfaces that go with them. But no pan looks better when its finally seasoned. I will take some pictures while I am setting up the bath so if anyone is interested in setting one up, they can have a frame of reference. Its really easy to set up and the results are amazing, and without all the elbow grease.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Wow!! Those are beautiful. There is a lot of great history there. That patina on the #8 is mesmerizing. Thanks for sharing!!

• GilaMonster
    replied
    Spinaker, here are pics of the old skillets...

First, the Wagner #8. It's the older of the two, cast in the 1920s probably, judging from what is left of the logo on the bottom. Since my Mother was born in 1920, I presume this one was my grandmother's, originally. It is my everyday skillet, as it is the larger of the two.

Then, the Griswold #7, which the griswoldcookware.com website says was made with this pattern logo until about 1940...or, just before my Mother married. I like to think that that 'patina' of baked-on-goodness that you can see on the pan, is from all those fried and fricasseed chicken dinners Mom made us!

I enjoy using these even more than my newer Lodge pans, for both the flavors and the memories they impart.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    GilaMonster No problem. I would like to see your results. I just did another round of seasoning on mine last night. She keeps on getting better and better. I am going to give her the bacon treatment tonight. Which is, of course, mutually beneficial.

Leave a comment:

• GilaMonster
    commented on 's reply
    OK, thanks again!

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    5" Disc sander. I saw some guys online using a grinder with a flap disc. I don't think you need that. Mine turned out fine with out it. Guest

• GilaMonster
    commented on 's reply
    Sandpaper - like a disc, on a drill, or angle grinder?

• Spinaker
    replied
    GilaMonster I polished the skillet with 60/100/150/180 then finally 220 grit sand paper. Then I polished it with a buffing wheel. It came out really good. I've only had the chance to do one round of seasoning with it, but its already looking good.

It takes a lot of elbow grease, but it looks really good when its done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	177509

Leave a comment:

• GilaMonster
    commented on 's reply
    Won't be this evening, but I'll see if I can get pictures of the pans...

My question for you, Spinaker, is just how did you polish your Lodge skillet? I might like to try that!

• Spinaker
    replied
    Originally posted by GilaMonster View Post
    You're lucky to find Griswold pans in such good shape (even considering the rust!) - especially at such good prices. Some people selling them think they are made of gold, not iron!

I consider myself very lucky as well - when my mother died, I inherited a Wagner that she had all her married life, as well as a Griswold that was HER mother's! All three of my sisters said 'nah - we don't want those old things...'

And I just turned 70! - so you know that both pans have been around awhile.

What I like best about the old Grizzies and Wagners is the polished cooking surfaces. So much better than on my newer Lodge pans.
    Wow!! Those pans must be awesome. I'd love to see some pictures. I agree, there nothing like that old time polished surface. I never realized it until I bought my first Wagner. I polished up a new Lodge chef skillet. It's amazing. I too wish they could go back to polishing them at the foundry.

Leave a comment:

• GilaMonster
    replied
    You're lucky to find Griswold pans in such good shape (even considering the rust!) - especially at such good prices. Some people selling them think they are made of gold, not iron!

I consider myself very lucky as well - when my mother died, I inherited a Wagner that she had all her married life, as well as a Griswold that was HER mother's! All three of my sisters said 'nah - we don't want those old things...'

And I just turned 70! - so you know that both pans have been around awhile.

What I like best about the old Grizzies and Wagners is the polished cooking surfaces. So much better than on my newer Lodge pans.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    gcdmd I have, but electrolysis is so effective. And it takes a lot less time to take the really hardened stuff off the pan. There is no scrubbing or anything like that. Just wipe it clean.

• gcdmd
    replied
    Spinaker ,Have you tried using vinegar, or does it attack the cast iron too much?

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    After a long bath in the the Electrolysis hot tub, she's all done. I've done three rounds of flax oil seasoning on this one so far. It is really coming along nicely. Flax oil gives off a brownish color to the iron. But as I start to cook with these, they will blacken up. I am really pleased with how this pan came out. I have many others that I am working on too. If there is interest, I can post some pictures of them too. Below is a comparison picture of what I started with and what I ended up with after the bath and the three rounds of Flaxoil seasoning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	177102

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    CeramicChef Thanks!! I was a bit skeptical but it works great. I really love this stuff. My set up looks a little like a bath tub for Dr. Frankenstein's monster, but it works.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here