Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bakerstone and GrillGrates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bakerstone and GrillGrates?

I am considering a purchase of the Bakerstone Pizza Oven Box - it seems to be the only gas grill pizza oven insert that gets the AmazingRibs stamp of approval! However, I have custom fit GrillGrates on my grill, and I’m wondering if I can safely put the Bakerstone on top of them. I know you’re not supposed to put cast iron pans, etc on the GrillGrates because the aluminum can warp. I’m wondering if the same would be true for the Bakerstone?

I'm just taking a WAG here but I think you would be fine putting the pizza box on the GG's. The issue I see with cast iron and such is that it would cause uneven heating because of the amount of heat the cast iron would take away from the aluminium in one spot and thus cause warping. It looks like there is enough of an air gap under the pizza box to keep that from being an issue. This is all guess work on my part, so grab some salt, and take it for what it's worth.

Comment

My guess--NOT. Don't do it. Why take the chance? I wonder how may time can it be done before wrapping?
      Better PBR than a bitter face.

Comment

Send the Grill Grate folks an email and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

Kathryn

Comment

I’ll second the other advice and say reach out to the good folks at GrillGrate.com and ask.

My educated guess is that the pizza oven accessory is designed to sit on top of standard grates, which allow more heat from the burners to flow up through the grate and into the pizza oven box. Grillgrates trap the heat below the grate. I too have custom Grillgrates but kept my factory Weber grates and store them under the grill for those times I want to use a cast iron skillet or Dutch oven on the gas grill.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I have exactly the same setup. I swap out the custom-sized Grill Grates for the original SS ones whenever I need to use any sort of pan or skillet on the gasser, and when I use the gasser to burn off the gunk from my kettle grates.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here