Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Poppa BBQ Mats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Poppa BBQ Mats

I received a couple Big Poppa BBQ Mats for Christmas. I've never seen these before. I understand when cooking small things to keep it from falling through the grate, but are they good for smoking things like brisket or butts, ribs, etc.
    Just how do you guys use then if you do?

I’ve never used but from what I’ve read they are not for direct flame cooking. Keep under 500 and use for indirect cooking. Based on this your briskets, butts & ribs should be fine. I’d remove prior to any searing. Again, I’ve not used so hopefully somebody with experience can add to this thread.

Comment

• Joetee
      Joetee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I'm thinking maybe just for easier clean up maybe? Or to make it easier to remove large cuts? I usually have a little piece of something stuck to the grates but that's my first bite. Hahaha

Use when doing smaller / fragile things that you don't want to stick to the grates. Like fish.

Comment

They are wonderful for fish! I have some other types, but yes, low and slow style or indirect cooking. I’ve also used for pork belly chunks when I’m making PB burnt ends and some vegetables on the kettle if I wasn’t using my grill basket.

Comment

They are great for almost everything. your rub won't stick to the grates and you and move the protein around just by moving the mat, and when it's done usually nothing sticks to the mat. Then chuck it in the dishwasher after a good shake.

Comment

• Joetee
          Joetee commented
          Editing a comment
          This seems like it would be excellent for using on a offset since I'm thinking the meat will probably need to be moved around during the cook.

I have a different brand and it sure seems like my pork chops and burgers turn out juicier, I reverse sear them using the mat, thanks for reminding me , actually forgot about em!

Comment

I use mats like that for meatloaf. In fact, I just put 2 loaves of Meathead's Ultimate Meatloaf Recipe on the PBC.
          The mats make it easy to put on/take off the smoker, it won't ooze thru grates etc. Makes for a lot easier cleanup.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            I never thought of using them for that. They would work great at the PBC temperatures. A solution for fish, perhaps, as well.

Formerly known as Frog Mats. They are nice to have.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here