Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd GrillGrates Smell??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd GrillGrates Smell??

I don't use my GrillGrates all that often, maybe a once or twice a month. But when I do I usually smell what I can only describe as a metallic-y smell coming off the Grates when the coals get hot. It's hard to describe as I can't think of anything else like that I've ever smelled. At first I assumed it was just because they were new but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Has anyone ever experienced this or is my nose losing its mind??

Is it melting? I know there’s a melting point. Like 750 or 800.

have you cleaned it well with some dawn soap?

mine doesn’t smell.

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      Doesn't seem to be melting anywhere on them. I'll try the Dawn, thanks. I haven't cleaned them like that only brushed them after the cook. Thanks!

I have grill grates on my pk/gas weber.and green egg...after cooking i flip them over the fire for about 10 minutes to burn off all residue,works for me...really like the grill grates a lot...i get them over 600 with no issue at all

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Double down in burn off at end of grilling, also at start to Sanitize.

The melting point of aluminum is 1221F or 660C. So unless you are putting them in direct flames for an extended period, I doubt the aluminum would be getting too close to the melting point. The anodized coating might be damaged before that - I know the Grillgrate.com folk recommend not going much beyond 800-900 with them. Not a problem on any of my grills.

I've been using them, for 4-5 years, on both charcoal and gas, and have not noticed a metallic smell. I usually don't cook on them until they have preheated for 10-15 minutes, so it is possible any such odor burned off before I opened the grill to brush them off and start cooking.

Comment

I only use mine on a PK 360 and I know a lot of people use it on that grill. I do put them directly over the coals. Do you do the same?

Comment

• dshaffes
        dshaffes commented
        Editing a comment
        I own a PK360 and used to get a similar metallic smell every so often, but never had an impact on taste or anything. Recently, I did a deep clean and noticed the vent covers had warped. I replaced them with the stainless steel plates and have not noticed that smell.

MTurney Yes, I use the Grillgrates directly over the coals in my Weber kettle, with all vents open and running hot. It’s never been an issue.
      Last edited by jfmorris; August 20, 2020, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto

I fire up the gasser with custom GGs pretty regularly for searing. Those puppies get hot hot hot! No metallic smell at all. After use, I give them a good high heat cleaning with a wad of aluminum foil.

Kathryn

Comment

• MTurney
        MTurney commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, fzxdoc. That seems to be the common theme here so it looks like I need to do a better job of cleaning them after the cook

Never had a smell, been using for over a year. I do clean them in the mop sink every 4 cooks.

Comment

I use mine about once a year, never noticed a smell. About time I use em again. I guess I’m goin to have to figure why, & then find em. 🕶

Comment

I have my PKTX and one set of Weber 22in GGs wired to the cheaper chrome grates for each grill, rails up for SCA practice sessions - at this point I’ve accepted that I may need a lot of seasoning and cross hatches for their unwritten rules of their judging.

I flip them over and do a quick burn off most of the time.

if I want to really strip them clean, I get my WSCGC super hot and let the GGs bake in there, b/c of the superior heat retention and efficiency I can turn the carbon to ash pretty quickly w/the coals in the low position.

I usually do my WSCGC GGs at this time, too...those I don’t wire to a grate and use, mostly flat side up for all over crust.

The overall effect is like putting your oven on self clean...it also usefully gets rid of half used lump and briquettes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here