Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing GrillGrates When Not In Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing GrillGrates When Not In Use

How/Where To Store GrillGrates When Not In Use

I'm following the manufacturer's recommendation to just brush/scrape them and not wash them.

Trouble is, they stay a bit greasy/oily. I sprayed a little avocado oil on them when I cooked fish the other day.

After brushing and a little wiping, I have been putting them in a paper Trader Joe's bag. I put that bag in another TJs bag today since the first one was getting a bit oily itself.

I'm not using them for every cook, so I don't want them on my grill all the time. Also want them off when I am cleaning the regular grates, vacuuming out ash, etc.

Any suggestions about keeping GrillGrates so they won't be so messy ?

Thanks!

Can you just get them super hot and burn off the oil/grease and then simply store them dry?

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Dog, the reason I got them is that the Traeger smoker grills, they don't get super hot. I would love to do as you suggest but as you see there is a dilemma.

What type of cooker are you using ?
      Last edited by zzdocxx; August 16, 2020, 07:42 PM.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      zzdocxx Ah! Got it...and I could see that being an issue. My father has a Traeger, and I’m pretty certain it wouldn’t hit the temps needed to burn stuff off.

Have you tried a pressure washer? I use one periodically if I’ve got excess gunk.

As for me...my go to charcoal is the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center (what a pretentious moniker) and for gas it’s a Weber Summit Platinum D6. (They excel at absurdly long names. LOL) I also have a Dyna-Glo but that lives at a friends house.

I just turn up the temp at the end of my cook to burn off any grease. Once they cool down I store them in a bucket in the garage that I lug to and from the grill. I don't leave them on my grill as I live in a wooded area and too many critters like to eat what is left on them and then leave droppings letting me know that they were there.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes the critters, including flies which seem to be interested in them.

What type of cooker are you using ?

For the set I use on my pellet grill, I usually take inside and wash before storing. After a number of cooks thy seem fairly well seasoned. I have not found they need a lot of oil, but if they do, I brush some on before cooking.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been tempted to do that also, it's just that on their website I think they said to only do that once every six months or so.

But maybe their way is not practical for some of us . . .

That's why I rehomed mine, they work great.. but not great enough to be something that lives on and off the grill. If I had a grill they had full size custom fit for, they'd live on that grill forever no problem though.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      My thoughts exactly. I love the concept and the performance, but hated trying to clean then. I solved that problem when got rid of the Grill Grates and the gas grill I bought them for.

I have a large plastic tub with cover I got at Walmart. It serves 2 purposes. I store the somewhat dirty GGs in it. When I want to thoroughly clean the GGs, I use the tub with Simple Green, soak them for a couple of hours, then scrub off the grates with a scrubber sponge.

Not sure of the specific one I have, but it is similar to this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...-Unit/49533207

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea, I could put my grill brushes etc in there too.

• synodog
      synodog commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm...going to give this a try.

I use mine about 1 in 5 cooks on a kamado. Store them in the garage and don't want to attract any critters so I feel the need to clean them up a bit. Good old SOS pads take off the grease and seem to leave the seasoning, I still have to scrape off the charred bits.

I don't even follow all my doctor's recommendations, so I don't feel too bad about not following the Grillgrates recommendations either.

Comment

Just used dawn and scrubbed mine. I go against doctors’ orders too sometimes. 🙃

Comment

Next you guys will be telling me you jaywalk !

Last edited by zzdocxx; August 17, 2020, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Another vote for washing & scrubbing with Dawn.

Comment

Comment

• zzdocxx
              zzdocxx commented
              Editing a comment
              The famous flame thrower !

Love this sous-vide everything guy.

I have a torch I use, it has a special $3 nozzle I put on a bernzomatic 8000.

Works OK but the flame thrower, that would be fun !

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              zzdocxx the first time I torched our sidewalk to the driveway my wife said 'you are crazy, the neighbors think you're crazy, but that is badass'.

• zzdocxx
              zzdocxx commented
              Editing a comment
              I love it !

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here