Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GG Unboxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GG Unboxing

Got my GrillGrates delivered this week. Took a few pics and will report back later with results.

I'm planning to cook a couple of ribeye steaks on the Traeger Junior this weekend.

My idea is that after giving them some smoke, and getting them in the 125-130° range, I'll take the steaks off and lay the GrillGrates on top of the regular grates. Then I'll crank up the smoker grill to its max 450° setting and after it heats up, I'll sear the meat using the flat side of the GrillGrates. Then maybe I will try out the sear-mark side to see about putting some marks on the steaks, just for fun.

Any suggestions on the cook? Oh yeah I have to check out the GrillGrates seasoning instructions, probably(?), right? Any suggestions on that subject?

OK here are the boring pics! Also bought their cleaning tool and fancy schmancy spatula thing, one of them came with discount if purchased with the GrillGrates, I think.

Attached Files
    Last edited by zzdocxx; July 3, 2020, 09:50 AM.

You really don't need to season the GG's, particularly the flat side. I would put a light coat of oil on the steaks after smoking them before searing. If you have a weight like a bacon press or similar, use it to press the steaks onto the GGs once you get to the hot temp you want. That will get you an even sear on the entire steak surface.

Comment

All I did was rub some Canola Oil on. I think GG suggests rubbing 1/2 an onion. Oil was fine. Congrats on the purchase. Cook steak.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        RichieB. The onion idea works great on the rail side of GGs. Cut a big yellow in half, warm the grates and run the onion back and forth on the rails to get a nice non-stick coating. Doesn’t do much for the flat side.

I looked at the instruction booklet, which said something about putting oil spray or canola oil on the edges. But thinking about it a second time, I wondered which edges they meant. My first thought was the edges where the grates butt up against one another along the sides. But then I was wondering if they didn't mean the ends, or do they mean something else?

I do like the onion idea, although to be honest I don't understand how that works. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        zzdocxx On the GG website, it explains the onion idea and why it works. As far as edges, they mean the tops of the rail side of the grate that the food touches.

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Geezer you are correct, I misread and it actually says "ridges" not "edges", I was having a senior moment.
        I will check out their site.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here