Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searing on a Big Green Egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searing on a Big Green Egg

I want to cook direct just 1 or 2 steaks at a time on a Large BGE without piling up so many coals and waiting for it to get up to temperature. Has anyone tried using a Woo ring with their 13" grate, that lowers the cooking surface downward, letting you use less charcoal and grilling closer to the coals?

I don't have an egg - green or otherwise. But I would use a large Weber chimney with the 13" grate. If you think it will be a quick cook, you can turn the chimney upside down and use even less coals.

Comment

I don't have a 13-inch grate, but I take the opposite approach. I put the CGS spider in place and set the Kick Ash basket on top of the spider, then put the CGS rig on top with the grate on the bottom level. The grate is just a couple of inches above the coals.

Comment

I have a second level grate that I turn upside down. I got it before there were Woo rings. It does exactly what you describe. The legs fit on the fire ring, the grate is an inch or two over the coals, depending.

What also works are cast iron half moon grates that sit on top of the standard grate, or directly on the fire ring; and Grillgrates, turned upside down and used as a griddle surface.

HOWEVER, a Weber 22” kettle is a better solution, if you have room for it. It grills and sears much better than a BGE. You can use each tool to its max potential, and when you have larger crowds, or want to mix burgers and ribs or brisket or pork butts or chicken, you can do the slow stuff on the Egg and the fast stuff on the Weber. Or three racks of ribs on each. It just gives you more versatility.

With a BGE and a Weber 22”, I really don’t think I need anything else at all. It’s covered.

Comment

Yes, I have a cast iron grate that sits in the lower Woo ring that I use just for searing.

Comment

I have the Woo and a grate to fit. It works very well for searing.

Comment

That’s what I finally decided to do. Ordered them from the CGS today. Thanks to all for so many good solutions. Great, friendly and sane community here. Beats Facebook.

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                The best thing about the Woo (which I did eventually get) is that it allows you to remove the entire plate setter and grate at once. Even if you never use it for searing, you will love it for just that alone.

I've done it 2 different ways, with similar results. I use CGS Spider with a cast iron pan, or the CGS's AR with the cross bars on the lowest setting and then putting the grill grates flat side up. Click image for larger version

Name:	d2a4f81d0161927edb65bdbe23b734.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	835928Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_523.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	835929

Comment

The charcoal chimney starter is great. I've cooked steaks like this in my BGE. I simply fire up a chimney (use the shallow end if you're only cooking for two) and place it right in the BGE. I then place the original grill grates (or any grill grates really) directly on the chimney. Hotter than h*ll. Best way to sear a steak. I think it's referred to as the AfterBurner :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here