Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Question on Grill Grates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When someone replaces tru infrared with grill grates and can do a side by side analysis, PLEASE post here or contact me. Thank you.

Comment

Update; grates arrived today, one day late. It was after 3PM. I had already put a petite sirloin in a bath with the Avova. I'll do the sear on the grates. I'll also doing a grilled bake potato per MH's technique. I'm planning on doing the sear griddle side up and the potato on the rails, then over to the griddle for the final phase. One question, what temperature should I target for the sear? I'll use the IR gun. Hope to get some pictures too.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        For my sear I just crank the Genesis II as high as it goes... usually 700 or so on the flat of the grates. I keep the hasselback potatoes on the rails at the other end of the grill.

Well 1st results. I give myself a C+ may a B-. Used Jess Pryles Hardcore Carnivore. With that I did not dry brine. Steak was frozen and vacuum sealed. In bath 3 hours at 135. Last time with this cut 2 hours at 131. Was a bit tough. The extra time and higher temp took care of that. Very tender. The issue was that it was a bit dry. I do enjoy the rub occasionally. Doneness was right on. The potato seems a bit burnt. It was not. I used McCormicks Sweet and Smokey rub. I really like it. So the char is the rub. I've done this many times. I have to say, this is was the best. The skin was crisp. Think I'm going to be happy with the GG's. I only have pictures of the end result. It was cold and started raining a few minutes after I lit the grill. Thanks for all the advice. A special shout out to jfmorris.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200306_193248.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	812472

​​​​​​​

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        what grill do you have? The Genesis, right?

RichieB Great cook and glad it worked out! I wouldn’t give you a C or B- at all for that cook. I will say the color of steak is not as dark as last ones I did with Hardcore Carnivore Black, but those were reverse seared and cooked entirely on the grill, versus sous vide. Assuming you used the flat side of the grate for the steak, it really works best If the meat is nice and flat of course, to make full contact with the metal - just like in a cast iron skillet.

My wife’s 58th birthday is tomorrow, and she has requested smash burgers, so I’ll be firing up the Genesis tomorrow for that, and smashing them on the Grillgrates. Last cook was burgers on February 24th - she just really likes them! Plus we are feeding all the kids. I offered to thaw out some of the USDA Prime NY strips in the deep freeze, but she doesn’t want to give up 8 of those for the kids - those are ‘our’ dinner for 2 steaks I’ve been told, haha.

Comment

texastweeter yes. II E-300. Purchased May 17. I mentioned the date as I believe in 18 they made some changes.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          They changed the lineup in spring 2019 - Just added side burners, sear burners, and enclosed carts back. All models also now have stainless flavorizer bars. They also eliminated the 2 and 6 burner models. I’ve looked closely at the latest Genesis II since I got my 2018 model, and the main difference I can see inside is that mine has porcelain enamel flavorizer bars. Burners are the same.

jfmorris 1st please wish your wife a happy birthday.

Yes I did use the flat side for the sear. I'll keep experimenting. I just don't want the Kettle to think it's being neglected. So thinking of cooks for it. Nice weekend weather wise coming up. And Day Light Savings Time coming Sunday. Yea!
        ​​​​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here