Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Question on Grill Grates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Question on Grill Grates

Good evening my fellow pitsters. I'm ready to order for the Genisis 3 burner. Did the measurements. L- 19", W - 26.5. they suggest 25.5 5 panel 18.8" grates. Sound right? Rummaged through previous posts, one sort of confirmed. Looking to see if there are another takes.

As always thanks.

Just to clarify, you're speaking of the GrillGrate brand of grill grates, yes?

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe you could run it up the chain and see if there could be a q&a interview with brad sometime.

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, went to their web site. did the measurements as they define and it recommended as I had in the OP.

Nate We have an older PitCast with Brad from 2016 here, and a video interview with him here.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      I know! I was just thinking a Q&A would be nice... tweeter had a question earlier today and there seems to have been a little GG buzz lately here and there.

They expand when heated. I just bought a 2 rail piece that was custom cut. It was about 1/2” short of the opening.

Comment

I worry about warpage and cleaning mainly. That plus grease accumulation in the bottom pan vs truinfrared

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Again ditto on the tru infrared... I too am needing to probably replace grates this spring and struggling with best course of action. Considering 1/2 to compare.

Even though I measured and knew what I needed for my Santa Maria, I still called and they were fantastic at answering my questions.

Comment

Grillgrates has specific sets already for the Genesis II 3 burner and 4 burner, as well as the original Genesis grills. They should have a set by grill without you having to measure. I do know on both my 2002 Genesis and 2018 Genesis II that the Grillgrates are a little short of the front to back measurement of the original grates, but they do rest on the ledges and work just fine. On my older Genesis if they were longer the lid wouldn’t close properly - I confirmed that if the grates are not shifted towards the back slightly, the lid hiss. Don’t see this issue on the Genesis II.

go to this page and look for your specific Genesis:

Read about Gas Grills Replacement Sets by GrillGrate. Learn how to make your grill better with GrillGrates.
        Last edited by jfmorris; February 29, 2020, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I've created an account and added to the cart. I'm going to go with 5 panels according to their calculation. I like the flexibilty of on top of existing grates rather than the fixed size for the replacements. I also have a griddle added. Again the overall versiltility; where you can drop it on top or interlocked. But as tbob4 did, I'll call to confirm I've got the right size selected. Also, please do not tell my wife. I need to figure that spin out.

Meathead went through your link. hope you get the tick.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I recommend the replacement set for the Genesis II. You can in fact use it as a surface set on top of the original grate, or in place of it. I’ve done it both ways. I can double check and ensure the lid closes that way in the morning if you like, once it’s daylight.
            Last edited by jfmorris; March 1, 2020, 08:31 PM.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, I hate to say this, but they tend to slide around some when used on top of the original grate. Sorta annoying. The original grate can also block some of the holes in the Grillgrates, keeping grease from draining as well every few rails where the grate and holes line up.

jfmorris please if you can it would be appreciated.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok, let me wait on the rain to slack off. I'll grab my tape measure and my iPhone and pop out there to the grills.

RichieB I just took a series of photos, and I confirmed that the full replacement set of Grillgrates for the Genesis II with the 18.8" depth work in place of the grates, AND on top of the stock grates, and the lid closes all the way with them rail or flat size up. Personally, due to the Weber grate blocking the holes in the Grillgrates, I only put my Weber grates in if I want to do cast iron cooking, or maybe indirect cooking. The rest of the time they live on one of the shelves under the grill. If you do use a surface set, put the pointy versus the flat side of the cast iron grates up.

I measured, and in measuring the rails, I get closer to 18.75, but if I measure the flat, its slightly larger, so I guess that is where the 18.8" is. Either way, while they are shorter than the Weber grates, they stay in the grill just fine.

The only difference from you is that I have the 4 burner version of the grill, and it took 6 panels plus a gap panel, leaving maybe a 0.5" gap at either end of the grill. As you can see I was setup to do a bunch of smash burgers recently, while I grilled a few other items like buns on the rails at one end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	810562Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1286.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	810569Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1287.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	810568Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1288.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	810567Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1289.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	810565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1290.jpeg
Views:	335
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	810566Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1291.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	810561Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	810563Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	810564

Comment

jfmorris thanks for this. So you have the replacement grates and you're able to us them on original grates or as the replacement? Thats nice to know. I did call and inquired about the replacement and to confirm the length, The agent told me with the replacement version, I would need to go with the 17.375 length. She said the lid would not close with the 18.8". Curious, with your replacement grates if you use on top of originals, does the lid close? I'm now leaning towards the replacement version with the information you provided. Again, thanks!

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you have a Genesis or Genesis II? If you measured 19” front to back inside the grate area, you have a Genesis II. If you have less irs an older Genesis. I imagine the phone agent is confused. You gotta be specific as to model. Does yours show GS4 on it like mine did in the pictures?

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              And yes, with my replacement grates, 18.8”, the lid closes even using them on top of the original grates - thought I made that clear with my pictures. If you have a Genesis versus Genesis II it’s a little different. On my old 2002 Genesis I don’t think it would close if I stacked the grates, but can measure that too.
              Last edited by jfmorris; March 2, 2020, 05:39 PM.

Yes, Genisis II LX E-340. Purchased May 17'. Does measure 19" and GS4. So, thank you, going to the cart to order. Maybe get it this week, but I won't hold my breath on that. Pictures will be a comin'

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Enjoy! I’ve enjoyed the gas grill a lot more with mine, and have to deep clean the grill itself a lot less often.

Ordered! The cool thing is, I had it in my cart for awhile. I get an email saying hey you forgot you left stuff in your cart. Go back an order and use this code XXX for 10% off. A real nice jesture on their behalf. I did pull back on ordering the griddle at this time.

Comment

• SmokingSteve
              SmokingSteve commented
              Editing a comment
              If you decide to get the griddle, I recommend buying 2 pieces. I found that 1 by itself was not quite large enough for my needs. Grill Grates are just that. Great!

Good news, the grates will be here Thursday. Weather looks good, so I want to do a cook on them. Assuming they'll be here mid-day which is usual for FEDEX. Do I need do consider seasoning? Looked at web site. Not much help. Maybe info will come with product. Want to be proactive.

Comment

RichieB the main seasoning I did each time I got a new set if Grillgrates (I’ve bought several sets) was to wash with soap and water before taking out to the grill. I then wiped lightly or sprayed with some vegetable oil, heated it up, then got cooking. It’s not necessary really to season these before cooking like cast iron. If you want to season them like cast iron just cook some fatty stuff like burgers or chicken the first few cooks. In between cooks I just burn off debris, brush and scrape the top of the rails, and use the included grate tool (finger like spatula) to shovel all debris out of the valleys. I use the grate detail tool, basically a paint scraper, to scrape the top of the rails or the flat side when cooking on that side.

I got a tip from GrillGrate Brad not long ago to cut an onion in half and use the face of the cut onion to wipe down the rails. Apparently something in the onion acts as a non stick seasoning that works at higher temp than most oils.

The set you see in the pictures I posted a few messages up hasn’t been washed in a while - just scraped, brushed and burned off before each cook. I usually clean during the preheat at the beginning of the next cook, and just kill the grill right when done cooking. Every few months I will take them out and wash with the hose and soapy water, and clean out the grooves where then sections connect.
              Last edited by jfmorris; March 3, 2020, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• RichieB
                RichieB commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you once again. Now it's what to cook. I'll rummage through the freezer tommorow.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here