Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement for Weber Summit Charcoal cooking grate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement for Weber Summit Charcoal cooking grate

I've owned the Summit for about 1y3m. It is exactly what I want out of a cooker, but the only thing that's bothered me since ownership is the cooking grate. I simply do not like the gourmet cooking system. For those who don't know, it is a round piece in the center of the grate that allows specialized accessories. Link below.

Well, I'm interested in those who might have experience in other replacement grates for their grills. The diameter of the Summit is 24", so the world is my oyster. I do like the SS grates, really easy to clean and give me the sear I want, I'm not just in love with grill marks, do appreciate their presentation. Having said that, I'm not opposed to cast iron.

I've looked at:
    • Kamado Joe's grates, like those, especially the cast iron griddle.
    • Big Green XL eggspander option, not sure it'll fit the Summit. it will diameter-wise, but height might be an issue.
    • Craycort 24". Would love to hear others user experience with these, regardless of use on the Summit.
    • Other brands?
    Just curious what feedback some might be able to offer in their replacement grates.

Thanks.

Grill Masters, rejoice: Weber's grilling tools and utensils are made to last. Shop the selection of grilling gloves, mitts, and pizza stones for your BBQ needs.

Caveat emptor some 24's my be 23 and 7/8, some maybe 24 and 1/8. Make sure who ever you buy from has a great return policy.

Comment

I kinda LOVE the Craycort system on my Performer. Yes, gotta stay on top of the cleaning and oiling but I love them. I have not pulled the trigger for the Craycort's for my WSCGC. I kinda like the gourmet cooking system, but funny, the only insert I do use for it is the cast iron insert. If I were to replace it It would probably be Craycort.

Comment

I love the Eggspander system. It makes things a breeze! I am not sure what the dimensions are inside the WSCG but if it fits, it would work great for you.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m gonna go this weekend to a local dealer and measure the XL grate. I am concerned of inside diameter of the lid hitting the eggspander

What is it exactly that you don't like about that WSCGC grate, au4stree ? It's perfect when you use the Vortex.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; September 4, 2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, Thunder77 . The Vortex rocks! au4stree , you don't know what you're missing. Crispy smoked chicken pieces. Perfect wings. See this post: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ken#post522534

Some people have mentioned that the high heat of the Vortex with repeated use has damaged the center area of their regular grates.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; September 4, 2019, 10:35 AM.

• Jessterr
          Jessterr commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, I absolutely love the OEM Weber grate on the WSC(GC). I find that after cooking the majority of the schmuck is on that center piece, and because of its small size it’s ridiculously easy to just take it into the house and clean it in the kitchen sink. Spray it down with Dawn Platinum spray, and 15 minutes later it basically just falls off. And it’s a heavy duty stainless grate, what’s not to love? One of my primary grill features is easy cleanup, and this one fills the bill for me.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm with you, Jessterr , I really like using the grate that came with the WSCGC. I guess it's not for everyone, though. Like you, I clean it separately and then deal with the rest of the grate cleaning either by soaking in a round catch-pan for water heaters then scrubbing, or by scrubbing it in the kitchen, placed on old towels next to the sink.

I used to just burn the residue off in my large Summit gasser, but I prefer getting the gunk off the grate rather than burning it on.

Kathryn

Following, my second attempt at a WSCG is supposed to be delivered today and was in pristine condition when I left the store yesterday. I have a feeling that I'll be like au4stree and get frustrated with the stock grate as I hated it on my performer. The only thing I've really found so far is this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTP8D43/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AC10Z379VB228&psc=1

The issue is that it seems to be stainless clad and not solid stainless bars. au4stree did you find a grate you liked?

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          Negative, I’m glad you asked, I never made it to the green egg dealer to compare. I haven’t found the quality to be lacking, it was more of a design/function dislike for me. I’d prefer just a solid grate without the removable middle.

I guess something came up and I moved this shopping item down the list. Will have to go test those out. Good luck on your 2nd Summit

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope that Summit works out well for you this time around, glitchy . It's a beast.

Kathryn

So, I’m beginning this process as well. I dislike the gourmet grate system. And I also do not use a vortex, or SNS system.

what have you found? I love my stainless easy spin from SNS on my 22, I would love another one like that.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Jfmorris

I don’t like that center grate that pulls out, I want a full grate, flip up on one side would be cool.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          What I could do, maybe is find someone local who can spot weld a few spots on the back of the inert on to the grate,

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Andrrr As far as I know, SNS doesn’t make a 24” easy spin grate, all their kettles are 22”. Their Kamado is 22” also.

EDIT: SNS does make a 24 and a 26…..I stand corrected. 😱
          Last edited by Panhead John; October 11, 2023, 08:55 AM.

If the stainless Big Joe grates will fit your need they are almost bullet proof. I’ve used the stainless grates on my classic joe for 7 years now and can tell no difference other than color from when they were new. I’ve used the Big Joe at least 3 times a week for well over a year now and again other than color can see no change. They each only cover 180 degrees of the circle but the split grate is sometimes handy.

Comment

Richard Chrz

Comment

Richard Chrz SNS has their 22” EZ spin grate for 30% off right now if you want another one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1920.png Views:	0 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	1491621

I’m with you on Weber’s grate with the removable center insert, I hated it! When I first bought my Master Touch several years ago, it came with one. It was heavy as hell and the center piece always fell out unless picking it up with both hands….I threw it in the garbage and bought a regular grate for it. I’ve got the EZ spin grate on both of my SNS kettles and love it. I had no use for the round removable centerpiece on the Weber. Also, I’ve been using the vortex with my EZ spin grate regularly for a few years now……and have not had any degradation of the grate from the heat of the vortex. As far as I know, SNS only makes 22” kettles and they do not make a 24” EZ spin grate. I love my EZ spin grate too, I won’t have any other grate for my kettles. And as you know, it does have the flip up side for adding charcoal or wood.
            Last edited by Panhead John; October 11, 2023, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              The only reason I keep mine around is because in the WSCG you need to remove the middle for the vortex to fit, at least for the medium vortex you do. Otherwise mine would be gone too.

Btw I assume partly due to the newfound popularity of Weber kamado, SnS did start making a 24” ez spin fairly recently. There’s even a 26”

Designed to match the width of the Slow ‘N Sear® Low Profile, the single opening streamlines grate functionality while making it easier to access fuel in the basket. Need to refill charcoal? Our hinged, grate design completely covers the water reservoir while providing full access to the charcoal basket. No more wet briquettes!

Panhead John Richard Chrz SnS Grills did add a 24” easy spin a while back, but you can just use the stainless zip ties I linked a couple posts back to hold the center piece in place.

Designed to match the width of the Slow ‘N Sear® Low Profile, the single opening streamlines grate functionality while making it easier to access fuel in the basket. Need to refill charcoal? Our hinged, grate design completely covers the water reservoir while providing full access to the charcoal basket. No more wet briquettes!

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Andrrr glitchy Well I’ll be! I searched for a 24” before I posted, wanted to be sure, and I couldn’t find one….🤷‍♂️. I stand corrected!

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              You are forgiven Panhead John but now you have to put 3 beans in your chili on Saturday

One tip that helped me was to flip the side part up over the center, and then lift it out from that side. Also, set it down (or hang it) from that side. This resolved 80% of my frustration with it.

Comment

Ah! Now I see why folks want to replace the grate. I too am not a huge fan of the Weber "Gourmet BBQ" system with the round insert in the middle of the grate. Glad SNSGrills has an option!

Comment

While we’re on the subject I thought this might be helpful for folks with a vortex. Some people have been concerned about using a vortex under their grate, because of the high heat it puts out. I’ve measured the heat above my vortex….it measured about 980*. I’ve only used a cheap $20. grate from Home Depot and the SNS EZ Spin cooking grate above a vortex, so my experience here is only with those 2 grates. If you have an SNS Kettle or a kettle with their EZ Spin grate, there’s not much to worry about as far as degradation of the metal tines of the grate, above the vortex…..IMO. The SNS kettle I have here at home is a little over 3 years old and I’ve used my vortex regularly with it.

I realistically use the vortex about 4-5 times per month or 48-60 times per year…..so a total of maybe 150-180 times. This is what my EZ spin grate looks like today…………

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1743.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	1491697

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1742.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1491696

I inspected the SNS grate area today, above the Vortex, and could not notice any degradation or thinning of the tines, a little discoloration, yes, but that’s all. When I had my Weber Kettle at Mom’s and used a cheap $20. replacement grate, after a year or so I noticed significant degradation, thinning and rust on the area above the vortex. So IMO, if anyone is using a good quality SS or porcelain grate, along with a vortex, I think you’ll be in good shape for many years.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can second that. I use my Vortex with a SNS Easyspin grate as well, and while the stainless is discolored, it has not degraded in any other way. Certainly no worse than the hinged part of the grate that has been shut many times over live coals in the SNS insert.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here