Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast iron skillet on GrillGrates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast iron skillet on GrillGrates?

Just got some GrillgGates for my old Duane gas grill and want to do some frying using the recipe on Amazingribs. But I noticed that the Grillgrate instructions caution against using skillets on top of the Grates as this might cause excessive heat trapping and warp the Grates. Anyone have this experience? Do I need to save my old rusty gates to use when I want to fry on the grill?

Iwould save em at least for that purpose. The grill grates have their time & purpose, but total reliance, uh, uh.

Comment

I agree. I would save at least one section of old grates if you want to put a skillet on top.

Comment

I didn't know that about Grill Grates. I've put my skillet on them to fry, but I've only done it once. I tried it right after Meathead's article about using the gasser for deep frying came out.

I didn't use a cast iron pan, but used a heavy large saute pan. I had trouble with heat recovery after putting the food in, and I was only frying tortilla strips for Tortilla Soup. It took a loooong time for the oil to heat up (35-40 minutes) initially too.

So I learned that a CI pan is an essential part of the frying on the gasser equation.

I was hoping that the higher heat from the Grill Grates (as opposed to the gasser's grate alone) would help but it didn't in my first experiment.

Now that I know that putting a skillet/dutch oven on the GGs is a no-no, I'll modify my next frying session accordingly.

Kathryn

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never fried tortillas for dishes. I have a flat round CI griddle with almost no lip, really well seasoned, and make tortillas and strips for sopa on it with sometimes a spray of oil, most times not. Medium heat and turning over often, until you achieve what you want.

I reserve frying for dipping chips, but not for strips in dishes. It's more true Mex, not border Mex, IMHO. Maybe try it?

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          JGo37 These crisp tortilla strips were broken over top of the soup for garnish and also to scoop guacamole on the side. We had soup in Cabo served that way (crispy strips) and liked it. I use a flat griddle for heating and slightly scorching soft tortillas for other dishes. I'm assuming you add the soft tortilla strips to the bowl before adding the soup? Haven't had it that way. Will try. Thanks!

I would not put a CI skillet on top of the Grill Grates. They can warp at really high temps and the skillet can damage the GG cooking surface. If your grill is totally fitted with GGs, I would switch back to the stock grate if you are adding a skillet or Dutch oven.

Comment

OK, I'll keep my old grates for frying--thanks for the input. In that case would you recommend leaving the old ones on and putting the GrillGrates on top, or do the GrillGrates perform better if they are on by themselves?

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I like my Grillgrates in place of the original grates for my Genesis. If you put them on top, you may need them shorter than the original grates, in order to avoid interfering with closing the lid.

Just one more Example of grate vice🤙

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Now, was that one of your famous typos, or are you clever wordsmithing? Both....?

One more question, slightly off topic, but still about GrillGrates. I want to make Meathead's Diner Burger recipe on the flat side of the GrillGrates. The recipe calls for smashing/flattening 1/4 balls of ground chuck onto the griddle with a solid spatula. My concern is that if I do this with the GrillGrates, the meat will extrude through the holes making funky, warty burgers. Should I pre-flatten the patties so I can press a bit more gingerly on the beef--enough to make good contact, but not so much to make bumps?

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            My guess is prolly. I've thought about it too, but got a D&G instead.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I do smash burgers on the flat side of GrillGrates and nothing "smushes" through. I believe I had that concern in the beginning.

I can answer my own question--it wasn't a problem--the meat didn't extrude through the holes at all when I squashed into patties. And the burgers came out great--GBD and juicy--complete with butter toasted brioche buns, Burger Glop, lettuce, tomato and onion, they were a big hit with the family. I'm loving this site!

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep I worried about this too, but it’s a non issue. I actually liked doing it on the upside down Grillgrates better than my Drip n’ griddle, as it let the grease drain off into the Weber collection system.

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            My favorite place to grill burgers is on the back of the GG on my Weber Gasser

GrillGrates also offers an aluminum flat griddle. I got one when I ordered my GrillGrates, but unfortunately have not used it yet, so I can't review it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingSteve View Post
            GrillGrates also offers an aluminum flat griddle. I got one when I ordered my GrillGrates, but unfortunately have not used it yet, so I can't review it for you.
            I use the Grill Grate Griddle (anodized aluminum flat griddle) all the time for searing. I have two of them that fit together at a grooved junction. The thing I like the best about them is that they're easy to clean. A little water after the seared meat is removed, a few scrapes, and most of the stuck-on stuff is removed. Then I can easily take them in the house and give them a good soap and water scrub in the sink. They're light and easily manageable.

They can bow slightly at very high heats (700° or more), close to their , but they settle right down as they cool.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here