Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Grates for Gasser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Grates for Gasser

The third set of Weber "stainless" grates has rusted out on my Genesis. Time to replace them with something different.

Two options I am considering are a full set of GrillGrates (https://www.grillgrate.com/grill-gra...weber-genesis/) or a custom made 304 stainless replacement grate (http://stainlessgrillgrate.com/index.html).

The price is similar so its a question of which is better. The three factors to consider are longevity, searing performance, and 2 zone indirect performance. It would seem that longevity is similar, searing is better on GrillGrates and indirect is better with the stainless. Ease of care is also a factor but lower on the list. Does anyone have experience or thoughts on either?

I don't use gas, but if it were me, I'd get a full set of grill grates. I may get a half-size of stainless or even chrome/porcelain coated if I couldn't separate the grill grates enough for an indirect cook.

Comment

Hey adamjs83 Where they 9mm stainless cooking grates?

Comment

• adamjs83
        adamjs83 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am not sure of the width. It was whatever they sell at the local Do it Best affiliate branded as Weber Stainless Steel. I think its Weber Part 7528.

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow I'm surprised those rusted out. Interesting.

I have Grill Grates on my old Weber and it seams that the original cast iron grates are becoming smaller with every cook and I wattent this to the grill grates as nothing else has changes.

Comment

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for...255633560.html, this gentleman makes great flavor and grill parts, I have 3 webers that he made grates and flavorizer bars for years ago and they are like new. I use my grills alot and there has been no wear

Comment

• adamjs83
          adamjs83 commented
          Editing a comment
          Reaching out now. Thanks!

Check Amazon for replacement bar ss grates. Prices are really good. search for your grill type. There is one other place to go for really good grates, made by RC Planer

He manufactures them himself.

Comment

• Brewmaster
          Brewmaster commented
          Editing a comment
          same guy as the Craig list add

I changed my broil king gasser over to grill grates last year and have have been really happy with them. Too soon for a comment on longevity, but they sure control flare ups nicely.

Comment

grill gates ftw.

Comment

I have Grill Grates for my gasser (enough for full coverage) and yes, they are great for searing or any type of direct grilling (fantastic job controlling flare ups- which I think are their biggest value add, even more than searing). However, IMO they do not allow good air flow for indirect cooking.

When I indirect cook, I use a standard grate under the food being cooked and no grates for the rest of the grill, so I never have a need for full standard grate coverage. If you go this route, you can order fewer SS standard grates to save some $s and also get the Grill Grates for direct grilling for the best performance.

Good luck.

Comment

• Baltassar
              Baltassar commented
              Editing a comment
              My experience has been similar. I use a mixed set-up of GrillGrates and the original SS grill (cut into pieces) that works well in various combinations. I have not tried a solid set of GGs, but honestly I have no use for that must sear space anyway.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here