Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graduating to Stainless Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graduating to Stainless Steel

Drank the poison on the goodness of stainless steel cooking grates, so I'm ready to give the heave-ho to the nickel-plated grate in my 22-inch Weber charcoal grill. (Which needs it, anyway.) What models of s/s cooking grate do we like? Make 'em with hinges please.

What shall I do while I wait for an answer? Oh - I know:

SNS grates have to be in the mix especially with an extra 15% off.

Shop all available cooking and grill grates from SnS Grills!

Comment

+1 on the SnS Easy Spin SS Grate. I'm keeping my Weber grate to use with my Vortex even though the SS grate will handle the Vortex heat.
      Last edited by Purc; September 7, 2023, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here, I’ve been using my vortex under my SNS easy spin grate for 1 1/2 years now, no rust or corrosion at all.

I went for the SnS Easy Spin.

Comment

About the EasySpin: From the picture on the website, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to spin this thing in my 22-inch Weber kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
          About the EasySpin: From the picture on the website, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to spin this thing in my 22-inch Weber kettle.
          I have them, I’ve never spun them. I’m not sure how that works over the original, either. But they’re a good grate. They’re high quality and there’s a hinge for adding charcoal.

Comment

The original Weber grates have the bar ends protruding making it difficult to spin the grate, they catch on the kettle tabs. The SNS spin grates have the bars welded to the top of the circular exterior of the grate making it easier to spin the entire grate for searing of say a reverse sear steak using the cold grate method. They're good solid grates that I've had for a couple of years with zero problems.

I also own some really stout, 1/4" stainless 304 bar stock grates by Killa Grilla Grates. Check them out while they are still in business, I think the guy is retiring and closing soon.

Comment

• Smoked Transistors
              Smoked Transistors commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree 100%, super solid 1/4'' stainless 304 are the best. I better grab a 24'' for the WSCG before their gone forever

Also, a Killa Grilla Grates user. One side is hinged. Large opening that works well with the SnS. It does still catch when spining but that doesn't bother me. This thing will last forever.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	289.8 KB ID:	1479392
            Last edited by HawkerXP; September 7, 2023, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Out of stock for the Weber kettle size.

• MsTwiggy
              MsTwiggy commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 I have a killa grilla for weber 22” and it’s very nice. I got it on etsy. They are made in USA 🇺🇸 🔥🔥🐿️

Another proponent here for the S & S easy spin grate! I’ve got em and they’re great! Hinged lid on one end and it’s big enough to add charcoal or wood to their SnS insert if you’re using it. Highly recommended! Full disclosure here, I’ve only used them on my SnS kettle.
            Last edited by Panhead John; September 7, 2023, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I've got the SnS Grills Easyspin grate as well, on my kettle and kamado. One thing that I am torn about - the older ones had open loops on the hinged part, making it removable - which I always do if cooking with the SNS insert. On the flip side, it has a tendency to come loose if you DO decide to spin the grate - something I rarely do to be honest. So I can see why they changed to closing those hinge loops at some point.

Those KillaGrilla grates are the other one I would consider - super heavy duty construction. Too bad they are going out of business.

Kind of wondering if someone sells a stainless CHARCOAL grate for the Weber kettles, as that is the only grate I still seem to need to replace every few years, as the Weber ones start warping and bending on me on my Performer, where the propane ignitor is especially. I see where Killa grilla had one, but its no longer in stock...

Comment

Thanks for everyone's advice. A few things:

Ain't no way this (EasySpin) is going to spin in my Weber kettle. Maybe in an SnS grill, but not in mine. I'll have to pick it up by its handles to turn it, like any other grate.

If a stainless steel grate is such a good idea, why are they so hard to find? There's plenty of rectangular ones, but go find a round one.

Killa is closing - the owner is retiring after 29 years in business.

Here's one other - the only one I've found so far, from the House of BBQ Experts:

304 STAINLESS STEEL COOKING GRATE FOR 22″ KETTLE BBQ

I may be partial to the above, since those boys are from the province of Quebec in Canada, which is where I started out a long time ago.

Comment

Well okay, if anyone is still following ... I get it now. Watching some videos got it through the thick skull. No, of course, the EasySpin doesn't spin around like a roulette wheel. EasyTurn is more like it. The thing sits on the cooking grate supports, and is sized and constructed so that it doesn't actually contact the interior surface of the kettle. All this makes it easier to turn the grate over the top surface of the cooking grate supports. I'm sold.

Comment

• Craigar
                    Craigar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Atta boy! Now fetch one.

So in December I ordered a KillaGrilla grate for my WSM and in January the purchase price was refund to my CC. No explanation given, even when I sent an email requesting information. I am still interested in stainless steel grates for y WSM and Weber Kettle.
                  Suggestions and reviews are appreciated.

Comment

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am fairly sure KillerGrilla shut down so that is why it was refunded. I think the owner just retired.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here