Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember kids, Oven Cleaner is caustic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember kids, Oven Cleaner is caustic!

I can't believe I did this. Again.

So, I really wanted to give my kettle grates a good deep clean, so like I did a few years ago I reached for a can of oven cleaner to really do some serious work. And, also like a year ago, I forgot what oven cleaner is made of and did not wear gloves.

Sigh.

Oven Cleaner is aerosolized lye and it will dissolve skin. I looked in utter confusion as to why I was getting these oval marks on my hands and arms, as if I has scraped up against something really abrasive. It then hit me what was going on. Ack! (And I did the same thing about four years ago!)

So, remember that oven cleaner (for Easy-Off it is the one in the yellow can; the "fume free" one in the blue can is a different compound) is corrosive: wear gloves, preferably long ones, safety glasses, and a mask.

Or better yet, just do what I am going to do.....go back to a spray with Simple Green, a soak in Dawn, and then some work with SOS pads.

Tough, but remember, it didn't happen without photos...

Comment

Do you have a cooker you can put them and clean with 800 F heat? Mine come out dark colored but completely clean.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        I've tried leaving my Kettle dome off and just letting the fire get as hot as it can, but it still leaves significant bits of grease and carbon on.

Back in the day we use to use Easy Off to remove paint from machinery. Yes, wear your gloves and eye protection.

Comment

Ouch! Don't make the third time a charm.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          I plan not to!

Yeah, I always forget too then wonder why the skin on my hands acts like Play-doe.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes....that is exactly what happened to my hands. The amount of hand lotion I went through yesterday was crazy!

I would say that one only makes this mistake once, but that is obviously not true.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here