Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GrillGrates versus griddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GrillGrates versus griddles

Happy weekend, everyone! I was on the GrillGrate website and saw they sell griddle panels, too. As of right now, I use the flat side of my GrillGrates on my gas grill to make smash burgers, quick chicken, and sometimes veggies. I know with a griddle there are more things I can do, but not looking at it for that. Just wondering if doing any of the things I mentioned above will get me a better result on a griddle.

Thanks for the info!

Yes. I have grill grates and a griddle. Grill grates upside down work, but by leaking the grease through it isn't the same.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. That’s what I wanted to hear. Will buy them tomorrow.

I have two of the griddle panels, and don’t think I get any better results with those versus the flat side of the regular GrillGrate panels for things like smash burgers. They do help for sautéing smaller pieces of veggies, frying rice and such that the holes don’t let you do. Or anything else where you want the grease/oil/liquid to not fall through the holes.

They also work really good as a thawing device for frozen meat…. Lay one on the counter, put a frozen steak on it, the aluminum conducts the cold/heat such that things thaw much faster.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      You put one on top the meat also?? Looking at thermal diffusivity tables:

Air at 40 degrees (cold water thawing) looks to be b/n 19 and 20 square mm per second
      Aluminum alloy is sitting at 64 square mm per second

Of course the cold water is totally encapsulating the meat.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      That's very interesting. Although I would not want to bring my GGs indoors without a thorough clean first...!

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris Thanks for the info!

I have two Grill Grate Griddles that I like a lot. I use them mostly for searing on top of my Grill Grates. I like them because I can bring them inside and clean them in the sink. They're as clean as any pot/pan in my collection that way, as opposed to my Grill Grates (flipped or not) which are never completely clean.

I clean my Grill Grates by scrubbing them well with a wad of aluminum foil when they're about 700°. To do this, I use gloves rated to 900° direct contact and 1200° otherwise. I also wear a kevlar slip-on sleeve to protect my arm. Even so, before I go to cook on the GGs, I wipe them with a damp paper towel and get a bunch of black residue off the clean-appearing GGs every single time. I don't want my family eating that black stuff. I don't have that concern with the GG Griddle pieces because they're as clean as any skillet I own.

Kathryn

Comment

• RiverJeff
      RiverJeff commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought one of the GG wire style brush that has the rolled looking scrubbers to get between the raised grid side really works great also!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      RiverJeff , I had one of those years ago, but it rusted out pretty quickly.

I shape the aluminum foil to fit in between the grooves. Works great.

K.

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Thanks! I think I'm gonna have to give them a try. Although, my size is on backorder, so hopefully it won't take too long to get to me.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here