Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool Cooking Grate Just For Your Chimney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool Cooking Grate Just For Your Chimney

A few days ago Eric2662 posted a steak cook he did over at SUWYC. One of his pics showed him searing the steak on a small grate that had a handle, over his charcoal chimney(shown below). Several people expressed an interest in the grate and wondered where he got it. I’d never seen one either. I checked it out and thought I’d post it over here in case people missed it.

It’s a small grate made specifically for cooking/searing over your chimney. With the long wood handle, it makes it easy to maneuver without the need for gloves. It could be one of those things you didn’t know about, but now have to have one. It’s 9” wide and fits even larger chimneys. It’s a BBQ Dragon Chimney Grate and is available on their website. But it’s actually cheaper on Amazon. About $17. after applying the coupon.

EDIT: It’s $20. Coupon is no longer available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089NF2Y7B...JDFXZ8QVRDXF7N

Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 12, 2021, 03:28 PM.

I can see one of these in my future.

If of course Sarah Conner blows up Skynet in time for the tenth time.

Comment

Thanks Panhead John you owe me $20.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks @RickieB past it over to me.

Now that is a great contribution to the forum. Thank you Panhead John you did good! Actually, I hope you get me for the secret Santa and you can buy me one for Christmas!
      Last edited by DavidNorcross; July 11, 2021, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Wrong he owes me $20.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn Ritchie, it’s only $17. after the coupon! I’ll start a Go Fund Me Page for ya. 🥸

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        The coupon wasn't available when I ordered. I think it was only for those who grow their own ribs. I can handle the extra $3. Just remember me come the holidays. Think high end bourbon.

Got to get one of them !

Comment

Panhead John Can you play ping pong with it, too?

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve found it to be better suited for badminton.

I can appreciate the convenience of the handle, but it sure would be easy to bump. I'd be real leery of a leg or arm connecting with the handle accidentally and having a screamin' hot grate and a hunk o' meat hit the deck or dirt.

The dogs would like it, though.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          The handle is so you can flip your steak omelette style.

• BruceB
          BruceB commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure about the handle either. Is the grate heavy enough so it won't tip off if there is nothing to offset the weight of the handle?
          I like this one, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QJD152L

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll use it in the Kettle on the charcoal grate. For a few minute sear I'm OK as long as the alcohol doesn't get in the way. That would be the case whichever grate I was using.

Panhead John Will you please go back to creating worthless threads I know to just ignore? I don’t need you joining in helping me part with more money. Attjack does enough of that already with these types of posts.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you see DavidNorcross post above? 😂 He seemed shocked I posted something worthwhile. "You did good" he says. Damn guys, I do contribute "some" helpful posts in between trying to keep y’all entertained. Remember that new fabric softener I recommended a few months ago? 🙄
          Last edited by Panhead John; July 12, 2021, 03:26 PM.

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          I am coming to your rescue Panhead John . I mean really glitchy. The guy FINALLY posted something worthwhile and your remarks are just not fair!

That's pretty nice.

Comment

BruceB It’s supposed to be fairly sturdy and heavy. There’s not much weight on the handle side, being mainly wood. It’s doubtful they’d make one that would tip over without anything on it, IMO. Here’s a pic they have on Amazon. Another thing I like about it, with the handle, you can get your meat off the chimney quicker in case of a flare up. You don’t have to reach for tongs.

Last edited by Panhead John; July 12, 2021, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Are ye implyin that when doin yer sear, ya don't already have tongs in hand?
            Yer other mitt can be sportin yer JD...

I got one for $ 19.99 shipped free from Prime one minute ago. Now there's ONE left. I can't wait to take the pic of how I intend to use it and share!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Standin by, awaitin with bated breath, Brotherman!

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones I got it tonight and will use it this weekend, with pics. Good quality if quality = weight.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            St Loo,

Jus take ,me along. on yer Magickal Journey. Amigo...

Don't Wanna Miss This, Brother!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 15, 2021, 09:21 PM. Reason: carriage return

Excellent PnJn! 👍

Comment

I got one too. I think it would be less tippy than balancing an 18" grate on a chimney set into my kettle. I like the idea of the handle a lot, and am thinking that it would solve my laziness for firing up and having to clean the grate on the 22" Weber kettle when I only want to sear off a couple of steaks. Cleaning this should be less unwieldy.

Rationalization #2: I already have the BBQ Dragon with its Chimney of Insanity, another questionable purchase based on how much it is used. I may be throwing good money after bad, but oh well. I'll give it a go. Thanks, Panhead John for the temptation. As temptations go, it's pretty innocuous.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; July 17, 2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              You’re welcome Kathryn. Glad to help. Let us know what you think after using it.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Also a confirmed Chimley of Insanity owner (X2)...it jus seemed to be callin my name lol!
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 15, 2021, 04:42 PM.

Its great! I use this all the time.

Comment

Just use my little smokey joe grill. $ and space saved.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here