Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill Grates for 22" and 26" Weber Kettles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill Grates for 22" and 26" Weber Kettles

Grill Grates has a 15% discount for fathers day so I pulled the trigger and ordered the Grill Grates for my 22.5 weber kettle. I looked at the description for both the 22 and 26 inch Weber Kettles and it almost looks like they use the same size grates? It shows they both use the 20" panels. Maybe the radius cut panels are cut different?

I guess my question is if they are both the same size panels, do I just need to order another 20" standard panel for it to work with my 26:?

I have the standard set for the 22" Kettle, and enjoy them when I want to direct grill on my kettle or kamado, and use the entire grill versus doing a 2 zone setup. Or to use the flat side as a smash burger griddle, grill veggies, etc.

It does look like they only use a 20" setup for the 26" kettle set, which surprises me. The radius in the picture looks the same as my set. So, yes - you could buy one more 20" panel and add it to the set to cover more of the 26" kettle. I am surprised they don't do it longer than 20" to cover more of the kettle to be honest.

If you ordered the set already for the 22", and its shipped, just wait on that to arrive and see how it will fit if you add another panel in the middle. Or ask them. Their customer service is top notch and good about responding to questions.

Another way to go would be two of the half moons for the 24-26 inch kettle, but they don't lock together. Those are 23" long.
    Last edited by jfmorris; June 3, 2021, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• tmelosi
      tmelosi commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the information. I thought I would wait until mine arrived and see how they fit on the 26".

Have you tried to use the flat side for pizza?

tmelosi you are taking the right approach by waiting to see the fit.

I've made pizza on the kettle, and actually "baked" a frozen or a store bought deli pizza on Grillgrates on my 4 burner gas grill, but I had to only use the outer two burners, otherwise the crust burned before the pizza got done.

My take on the kettle - the grill grates just don't have the temperature retension of a stone or even cast iron, and are not ideal for pizza. You need indirect heat to make pizza. Grillgrates are really intended for direct heat cooking.

My technique for making pizza on the kettle is shown in this post from a while back:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...085#post843085
    Last edited by jfmorris; June 3, 2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the post.

I've cooked pizza on the 22" with the SNS, the 26" with the vortex, and the pellet grill. The crust never seems to get as done as I think it should. Wife seems to think its fine though so that is what counts.

I'll give your method a try.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah - I think the key is getting the stone, or in my case, the cast iron, preheated. With that cracked lid method that they show over on the SNS website, I've seen the dome thermometer pegged out around 550F. By putting my Lodge CI pizza pan up on an elevated grate in the dome, it helps get the pizza up in the heat more than if it were on the main cooking grate. My pizzas take 7-8 minutes at that temp, and I use my Grillgrate spatula tool to turn the pizza every 2 minutes.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I highly recommend the Lodge 14" CI pizza pan BTW. It makes great pizza in the oven or on the grill, and you don't have to worry about it breaking or cracking like with a ceramic pizza stone. Also can double as a griddle too on the grill or stove top.

I've been looking to get a good pizza stone but will probably just get the lodge pizza pan. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I have a set for my Performer Deluxe. I was researching how they would work on a Summit charcoal and the rep told me all I need is another panel and it’s the same as the WSCG part number. I believe the part number for the WSCG and the 26” kettle are the same.

Comment

• tmelosi
        tmelosi commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know, thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here