Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for SS Grates for Genesis II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for SS Grates for Genesis II

After 20 years of cursing at whatever craptastic gas grill I've settled for, I finally was in a position to get a Weber Genesis II grill. There's currently a $50 discount on the Genesis II E-315 and with my Lowes military discount, I was able to get it for only $700 + tax. I didn't want one with a side burner or sear burner, so I wasn't able to buy it with Weber's SS grates. Unfortunately, the grates are out of stock on Weber's website. Are they worth waiting for, or are there any aftermarket grates that y'all can recommend? The thicker the better, and I want to avoid clad SS grates. TIA!

I use GrillGrates UPSIDE DOWN. Best thing I done. I gave my stainless away.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree 100%!

These aren’t cheap, I’ve upgraded my Jumbo Joe with stainless grates from Killa Grilla. Got a door in the top one so I can fill the Slow n Sear and I just upgraded the charcoal grate and that one can be used as the cooking grate in the Smokey Joe. They weigh more that the Jumbo Joe, so I’m pretty sure they will out last it.

Comment

+1 on Grill Grates. Have them on Genisis II 3 burner. You can can't go wrong as I'm sure jfmorris will attest to.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        The aluminum Grillgrates are "grate" at reducing flareups and increase the flexibility of cooking on the Genesis II. That said, there is nothing inherently wrong with the stock porcelain coated cast iron grates that come with the Genesis II either. I just like Grillgrates to reduce flareups, and increase searing capability, and to use the flat side for griddle style cooking. And cook small stuff or veggies that would fall through the regular grate.

prepperjack As I said in my comment to RichieB, there is nothing inherently wrong with the porcelain coated cast iron grates. I've been using that style Weber grate since 2002, and actually before that, with my dad's original circa 1984 Weber Genesis. Personally I've owned a 2002 Genesis Silver A, and a 2019 Genesis II E-410, both with the cast iron grates. Those grates cook well, and cleanup well too in my opinion, but what they do not do is eliminate flareups from grease on the flavorizer bars if you are cooking a bunch of skin on chicken or 80/20 burgers. When I had a grease fire while flipping burgers on the old 2 burner Genesis for July 4th 2017, I decided to buy a full replacement set of Grillgrates from grillgrate.com, to replace the cast iron grates. Those have been a pleasure to cook on. They increased grate searing capability, and also eliminated flareups and grease fires when cooking fatty stuff. And if you flip them over, you can use the flat side to make smash burgers or griddle cook veggies and other stuff, as long as its not too small (there are holes in the grate).

When I bought my Genesis II E-410 4 burner in January 2019, I ordered a full replacement set of Grillgrates for it the day I brought it home, based on my experience with the old Genesis.

Now, I do keep the stock cast iron grates around, storing them on the shelf under the grill. Why? Because there are times you want indirect, which is hard to do with the Grillgrate brand grates, due to the conductive nature of aluminum and the way they trap heat. Also, because if you want to cook with a cast iron skillet or dutch oven on the grill, the original grates work better.

All this said, the Weber cast iron grates are not bad at all to cook on, and are not hard to maintain. I cooked on them for 15 years on that 2002 Genesis, which now lives at my daughter's house. If you preheat the grill, most stuff burns off, and if the grate is hot, and you oil it with some grill spray, food doesn't stick. Clean up is pretty easy, and with the porcelain coating, I never had an issue with them rusting, and that old Genesis still has the original grates. Take this form someone who grills a LOT. The newer Weber cast iron grate gives you the choice of a flat side or a pointed side that has less contact of the meat to the cast iron - your choice which side you turn up.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        I always get a full set of GrillGrates for my gassers. Instead of swapping out the GGs for the delivered grates to create 2-zone, I just remove 1 of the GG panels to create a gap to reduce the heat conductivity. On my 4 burner Napoleon, lets me have a panel over each outer burner, with a set in the middle. I do spatchcock chicken this way and never have a overheat problem.

prepperjack I just re-read your first post, and my advice is try the grill first with the included grates - try the flat side and the pointy side (one up, one down even), to see how you like them. They are not stainless, but they are good solid grates, and get the job done. I actually like cast iron grates.

That said, if you decide you need something different, as others said, and I chimed in, Grillgrate.com has some grates that are really good to use on gas grills. If you decide to go that way, this is the set you would want to fully replace the cast iron grates:

GrillGrates are the ultimate upgrade to your Weber Genesis II 300. GrillGrates even out the hot and cool spots and tame flare ups.

I prefer these on my gas grills, for a lot of reasons, but you can cook without them. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. And if you are set on stainless steel grates, the best bet is probably the ones from Weber, since you know they will fit your grill.

Comment

Grill grates on a pellet grill too.
        Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

I have both GrillGrates and Killa Grilla grates. I use GrillGrates mainly for searing, although I guess you could use them for just about anything else. The Killa grates at thick gage stainless and will outlast you, me and your grandkids. Both are excellent choices...

GrillGrates

Killa Grilla

Comment

So, Lowes kind of solved my dilemma for me. With my military discount, I was about to get the E-330 for only $700 + tax. Even though they said it'd be delivered in 2 days, I got an e-mail today saying it was "delayed" - by 12 days. I decided to go ahead and get the SE-335, which has an enamel finish, but SS grates and flavorizer bars. So, in the end I'd spend just about the same mount of money, but get the SS grates and flavorizers, plus the side burner and sear burner, and they'll have it delivered on Friday. To celebrate, I went ahead and ordered the GrillGrates... I've heard a lot of great things about them and I'm anxious to give them a try too.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Great deal! Glad you got the grill you wanted at a good price! You're going to love it.

• prepperjack
              prepperjack commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris Thanks, and I meant to reply to your earlier post to say that you gave me a lot to consider there. You actually had me convinced to just hold my horses and give the stock grates a chance. I realized that my preconceptions on them was based on the cheap grills I've used in the past. But when I saw the SE-335 for only $1000, it was kind of a no-brainer for me. Its going to be a good weekend!

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              prepperjack you might also find yourself using that side burner more than you expected, for skillets, sauces, beans, etc. It's nice to keep the heat out of the kitchen in the summer, and you've got the same weather and humidity as me, over there in Georgia. I'm a Marietta (East Cobb) native BTW, but the rural county area I grew up in is paved over and unrecognizable now.

The problem with side burners is that they are deliberately made that you can't turn them down to a simmer (liability because they could blow out). However you can get a diffuser pad (they are not made from asbestos any more) and do it that way.

Like this (there are others): https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-gadgets/62999
            Last edited by RolfTaylor; May 26, 2021, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• prepperjack
              prepperjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, TYVM. I've never really used side burners, so I wasn't aware of the limitation. I'll definitely get one of these diffusers!

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmm. It's been many years since I had a grill with a side burner, but I don't recall that limitation from the one I had in the 90's. I have a Coleman propane camp stove, and lots of outdoor high BTU burners, and have no issues adjusting to the flame output I want on those. Not that I can simmer well on a 60,000 to 105,000 BTU burner, haha!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here