Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you roll with your Easyspin Grates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you roll with your Easyspin Grates?

I noticed that all the newer grates have the loops closed, so that the hinged part stays attached.

My original Easyspin on my Performer has the open loops, and I leave it off and stored on the shelf under the grill for all my smoking, and only attach it if planning to do some searing and spinning of the grate. I.e. for direct grilling. The big issue on that grill is when spinning it, I've OFTEN had the grate come detached and fall down to the charcoal grate level, requiring me to get gloves or 2 sets of tongs and fish it back out and attach again.

I've toyed with prying the loops open on the SNS Kamado grate I got back in January, but am finding myself using that cooker in kamado mode as much or more than the SNS mode. And the grate is a sloppier fit on the SNS Kamado, as it is slightly larger in diameter than a Weber kettle, so I feel it would fall off and into the depths of the grill even worse.

Do you guys keep your hinged part attached or do you detach it when smoking with the SNS? I guess the main concern with having closed loops is that you can't pile the charcoal and wood up as much in the SNS, plus you have the grate sitting closed over the fire in the SNS, probably degrading the stainless over time.
    Open Loop
    41.18%
    Closed Loop
    52.94%
    What?
    11.76%

I voted what because I don't have an easy spin anymore with the WSCG. I didn't have one long enough before I sold the Performer to develop a preference.

Comment

I voted closed because I do not like the open. The only thing that I do not like about the cooker. I would leave it on all the time which I do but it falls off half the time.

Comment

The open loops were annoying when even opening one loop or the other would detach. I crimped them closed.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah. I just have not crimped mine closed yet. Simple solution for sure.

I have the older open loop style and thought about crimping the loops closed but didn’t. I just leave the section off when using SnS and use a different grate if I need the entire grate as a cooking surface.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment

I voted closed but I have the newer style where it’s not detachable. I still pile the coals and wood pretty high. I just have the hinged grate resting on the raised pile. I don’t think it hurts the grate due to the low temps when cooking low and slow. I’m more concerned about overheating the grate when using the vortex.

Comment

Got tired of open, gets in the way. Just removed it and live with the hole, but that’s on my kettles. The 26” still has tons of room even with the void.

Comment

Clockwise.
            Frequency depends on th Protein, an temps...

Comment

I crimped mine shut. I hated it falling off. Now if I need to overfill my charcoal side the hinged part of the grate just stays partially open until the coals burn down enough.

Comment

I crimped. Didn't like it. Removed it. If I need a full grate I'll pull out the old double door Weber grate.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As I'm more than sure yer Fully Aware of, Brotherman...

They is also Phantastic stainless steel double door grates out there; ya can kick that ol chrome plated nonsense G'Bye, fer all time... That's what I use, nowadays...

Historically? Vast percentage of th time I'm kettlin, I ain't spinnin th grate, though I might be spinnin, a bit, at times, my dang ol self...

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Totally got ya Mr. Bones but I'm not one to just up and throw something out if its still got life left in it. I'm sure that chrome is looong gone but if kept "seasoned" its got some more cooks in it.
                  I do like the easyspin if I'm low n slo or reverse searing...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here