Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiment, oak wood smoked burgers

Took an hour at 250 to reach IT 145

This will come in handy for a crowd this summer.

Fantastic results
    Last edited by Ernest; May 17, 2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Father87
      Father87 commented
      Editing a comment
      hand formed patties or what? too perfect!

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Father87 No, I use a 4 inch molding ring.

Looks awesome, I love mine like this, usually use hickory though. I do them on my kettle and leave a couple grill greats over the direct side, then sear each side for about 30 seconds, sooo good. What topping have you got there, Meatheads glop?

Comment

_John_ I make my own burger sauce with mayo, ketchup, mustard, relish Vietnamese fish sauce and Sriracha. Topped these with pepper jack cheese and sat them on crispy bacon.
      I love the flexibility of these. I can prep everything while they smoke away.

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you sear at the end or just serve after bringing them up to 145F?

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        David Parrish I didn't sear at all, just got it to temp and serve. skipping the sear made zero difference.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. May have to try that.

Yesterday I made Meathead's Kentucky Whiskey baked beans on the BGE with my new cast iron Dutch oven. Then when that was done the sauce was so good I used it with a little red wine vinegar, mirin and sesame seed oil for a marinade for some shrimp I had in the fridge. Mmmm.
      Last edited by Breadhead; May 17, 2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Those beans are something, aren't they?

Comment

Holy heck this came out good: it's the chuck roast that I was asking about a few days ago. Rubbed the roast last night, skipped the dry brine because the rub has salt in it. 235* pit temp, roast to 165* on the grate indirect, then to 200* covered with beef broth, peppers, onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Then in the casserole with bbq sauce and about half the liquid from the cook for another 3 hours, spooned on to buttered toasted rolls. Corn (not too good this early) and cole slaw (very good).

Comment

• barney
            barney commented
            Editing a comment
            This is what I was looking for Mosca ! I'm thinking when the veggies are added I want to try some Oyster Sauce poured over the combination. Need to go to the meat market....again :-)

Looks great Mosca, I had some of that early corn too, not so good.

Comment

Tri-tip on my KBQ

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice seeing a KBQ in action!

Keeping it light

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Scrolling up this page on warp speed and this pic flashed, then I thought, "gots to be Ernest, or another professional chef besides Ryan on the board."

Getting ready for this weekend's cookout. I have two 12# briskets, 12 racks of St.louis style ribs, 8 racks of beef back ribs, 6 chickens, and 3 boston butts in the fridge waiting. I think I am finally going to fill the smoker.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              That's it? Lightweight. Lol. That is a ton of food. Sounds like you have a great weekend in store.

Tonight it's whole chicken on the kettle with the Slow 'N Sear. I'm getting website pictures (hopefully).

Trimmed, spatchcocked and dry brined with my sea salt grinder, uncovered in the fridge for 8 hrs.
            "LTLT rub". (Littla this, littla that). Basically I did a wing-it version of Simon & Garfunkel rub. Light spritz on all surfaces with PAM olive oil. Generous amount of fresh cracked pepper. Light finger sprinkles of granulated garlic, ground thyme, parsley flakes, and grass seed (rosemary leaves). Then a small finishing twist of more sea salt on top before placing on the kettle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG7388.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	83633

2 Mavericks in use this time, one monitoring either side of the chicken on the grate, one monitoring each breast. Little homemade foil drip pan underneath to keep Mr Web clean.

Name:	IMAG7395.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	83634

Using maple wood chunks, approx golf ball sized. 2 to start, then one at a time to keep light blue smoke rolling the whole cook. Half chimney of K-ford well lit. Keeping temp in the 325 range this time (I usually like to go a bit higher). Added a handful of unlit to the side just to help maintain a little longevity.

Currently 1hr 15 min into the cook the breasts are 147 and 149, and the two grate probes (one pictured between meat & heat, the other not pictured, but it's on the far side, between the left wing and the wall) are reading 325 and 318.

It's 75* out, sunny, and windy. Beautiful. The smell is captivating as we all know.
            I took work off tonight! Ice cold Pabst in the glass, all is well in central Michigan.....

So ten minutes later, at the 1hr:25min mark one breast hit 163 and one 162.
            Here it is at that point

Name:	IMAG7410.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	83640

Name:	IMAG7416.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	83641

And the cut pic:

Name:	IMAG7421.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	84349
            Last edited by Huskee; May 22, 2015, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• barney
              barney commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Huskee ! Pray I can get close to the same results.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              barney I walk you through it, with the SnS, here: http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!blank/c1m0d

Just use whatever rub/seasoning you want. In this article I use my rib rub, in the post above obviously more herbal.

• barney
              barney commented
              Editing a comment
              You da man Huskee , thank you Sir !

Sometimes you get surprised... I bought what I thought was a 8.5lb pork shoulder the other day. When I cut the cyrovac packaging I found 5 pieces of pork that equaled 8.5lbs. I was pissed... But, then I thought about Huskee cutting 8lber's in half to get more bark. I thought WTH... I'll rub these 1 and 2 pound butts with Memphis Dust and get lots of bark. Then I thought I should make some of Meathead's Kentucky Bourbon baked beans and some of his Deli coleslaw just to have a proper pulled pork sandwich, but what's all of that going to taste like without a proper bun? I started mixing this dough at 2:00pm and had the buns out of the oven at 5:30... Enough time to cool properly for dinner at 6:00pm. Mmmm

Comment

Second cook on my KBQ... Favorite. Smoker. Ever

I made ribs with Hickory

They are resting now but I had to cut off a piece to try. Nom!

Comment

I made some brisket last weekend in the PBC. Trimmed her down, took off about 2 1/2 lbs of fat and the deckle off the brisket before i rubbed her down. No injection, Oakridge BBQ Rub, 15lb USDA PRIME Whole Packer. Threw it on the PBC for just over 11 hours. I use apple wood because that is all that I had on hand. I wrapped it at about 170 F. I threw in a little bit of beef broth and wrapped her up tight. Everything came out great. That baby was all kinds of wabba-wabba in the foil when I unwrapped her. Sliced up great!!!! There is nothing quite like a Prime waba-waba.

Name:	deckle.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	84308 Click image for larger version

Name:	untrimmed briz.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	84309 Click image for larger version

Name:	rubbed down.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	84310 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	84311

Name:	Brisket black.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	84312
                Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice job!

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  dat is baaaaaaad!!!

That looks great Spinaker

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here